Weighted Blankets Pros and Cons – Can they help with anxiety?
We recently purchased a weighted blanket for our son, we were advised to buy one to help him sleep at night because his ADHD and Autism kept him awake at night.
He feels very nervous and anxious at night and is always fidgeting until the early hours of the morning. A friend of ours whose daughter uses one told us about a WEIGHTED BLANKET they bought from Amazon and said it worked wonders for their daughter who also has ADHD.
So we decided to research if they work and if weighted blankets had any Pros and Cons. In this review, we will share with you our findings and how the weighted blanket helped our son sleep.
After spending a few days researching and watching youtube reviews on weighted blankets for children with ADHD we were reassured by our findings.
As we own and run Our Eczema Story an eczema support website for people who suffer from this terrible skin condition after myself and our son have struggled with eczema for years. We thought we’d share our findings as it may help some of our readers.
Anyone suffering from Eczema or any other skin condition often struggle with anxiety too.
In this review, we will give you all the weighted blankets pros and cons and tell you how and why they work. We will also share the best weighted blankets we found online to help you save time and money. If you’re in a hurry then click the link above to be taken to the best ones we found at the best prices.
However, if you’d like to know why they work and how they can improve your sleep, then read on.
What is a weighted blanket?
A weighted blanket for anxiety and insomnia is exactly what it sounds like, a blanket that is heavier than the standard blankets. And yes they are the real deal and comes with a few really interesting benefits. The most common and biggest benefits of using weighted blankets are:
- Weighted blankets improve sleep and help with insomnia
- Weighted blankets reduce anxiety at night but also during the daytime
- They help improve focus and attention
- They improve our mood by triggering the release of serotonin and dopamine which are neurotransmitters that are highly involved with how we feel.
- Weighted blankets also reduce symptoms of OCD (obsessive-compulsive behaviors)
- You might have to experiment with the weights until you find the one best suited for your child
- Washing- Make sure it has a removable cover
- Price, they are not cheap
- Material-Find the type and feel of material your child will like.
These are the weighted blankets pros and cons, the pros definitely outweigh the cons for us.
They are blankets that are filled with heavy inserts like beads or pellets to weight them down. They have a cover which can be removed and washed. The beads are lock inside the blanket and can’t come out.
How do weighted blankets work?
Weighted blankets work due to something called DPTS which stand for deep pressure touch stimulation. Pressure is exerted over the body which provides both physical and psychological benefits. It’s like a big hug!
We noticed whilst play fighting with our son how he liked us rolling on top of him. He would often play fight with his mum and if she got on top of him he would stop struggling so she stayed on top. When asked why he liked her on top, he said ‘it was a comforting feeling‘ it made him feel safe apparently.
Occupational therapists often use weighted blankets as a means to help children with sensory disorders, anxiety, stress, or issues related to autism, and research continues to support this practice.
DPTS- Deep touch pressure also causes the release of both serotonin and dopamine in the brain. These are “happy” neurotransmitters and produce a feeling of calm within our nervous system.
Depression, anxiety, aggression, OCD, PTSD, and bipolar disorder have all been linked to low serotonin levels in the brain and weighted blankets have been proven to increase serotonin levels.
Can anyone use a weighted blanket?
Yes, Everyone has Deep pressure sensory tissues and can benefit from the calming feeling of weighted blankets. Have you ever had a thick heavy duvet and climbed into it on a cold night and felt the weight on your body? It has a gentle calming feeling, right?
Weighted blankets offer the same sensation but even more enhanced.
This being said they have the most positive impact on Children and Adults with ADHD, Anxiety and other mental health conditions.
What size and weight should I buy?
Most weighted blankets come in different weights and the sizes increase with the weight. They are sold in multiples of 5LB so 5,10,15LB ETC
A general guideline for choosing the correct size and weight of a blanket is to buy one that’s 10% of the user’s total body weight. ie: A child that weighs 80LB’s should buy a 10LB weighted blanket. This is a general guideline and should be judged by the reaction from your child. Some will like heavier blankets and some less. There is no real way of knowing but start with the 10% rule and you won’t go wrong.
What should you look out for when buying one?
The type of material and style will be one thing to consider. You son or Daughter still need to like the look and feel of the material, no matter how good they work. It still has to be comfy and attractive to the user.
Many children with Mental Health conditions often suffer from conditions like sensitive touch and hate the feel of some material. So this must be taken into account when buying a weighted blanket.
You’ll also need to check if the blanket is machine or hand washable.
Where’s the best place to buy a weighted blanket?
Weighted Blanket Gravity Sensory Heavy Throw Cotton Cozy Bed Blankets Adults Kids for Calming Comfort Deeper Better Faster Sleep Reduce Stress Anxiety Relaxing Muscles Nervous System 36"x48"-5 LB
1 used from $23.74
- Kpblis breathable 7-layered weighted blanket is designed to provide maximum comfort. We have used advanced quilting technique and extra lining have been added in the blanket which avoid leakage
- Kpblis weighted blanket can make you sleep faster and better. You will fall in love with sleep and life. Please don't hesitate to choose our weighted blanket, soft and silky touch and weighted hug will make you easily enter a beautiful dreamland
- Recommended size and weight: Please choose the blanket that weight about 10% of your body weight, 36"x48" 5 lbs weight is suitable for individuals weighing about 30 lbs to 70 lbs
- After-sales guarantee: Kpblis is a professional design and production weighted blanket factory, providing satisfactory service is our aim. And we will provide you EXCLUSIVE 1 YEAR FREE WARRANTY (Not include shipping costs)
- Friendly reminders: Children under 5 years old and pregnant women are not recommended. Old people should ensure that they can open the weighted blanket independently. We strongly recommend that you purchase Kpblis's Weighted Blanket Cover to easily clean and extend the life of the Weighted Blanket
WEIGHTED BLANKETS PLUS LLC - CHILD SMALL WEIGHTED BLANKET - DOLPHIN - COTTON/FLANNEL (48"L x 30"W) 5lb MEDIUM PRESSURE
- Proudly made in the USA! WEIGHTED BLANKETS SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 15% OF INDIVIDUAL’S WEIGHT. The formula is 10% of your weight, plus 1. Ask yourself if you like the feeling of a lot of pressure, if so select a medium or high-pressure blanket, if not use low pressure. When in doubt of best weight for your needs choose a light pressure option. Pressure options available in small, medium, large and extra-large sizes. Whether it’s for adults or kids, we have something for everyone.
- WB+ WEIGHTED BLANKETS provide soothing weight and pressure to stimulate a great night’s sleep. Produces relief and relaxation. It really is the BEST HUG EVER!
- 100% HIGH QUALITY, AFFORDABLE PRICE, durable cotton and cotton flannel blankets are both calming and comfortable, filled with evenly distributed, sugar-like glass beads, no extra poly-fill. Our beads are divided into hidden 4”x4” squares. No extra purchases needed for a complete blanket.
- Sized for individual use. Small 48”x30”, Medium 58”x41”, Large 72”x42” and XL 80”x 58”.
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. Email the staff at Weighted Blankets Plus today at [email protected] to learn more!
ZonLi Sensory Weighted Cool Blanket (5lbs for 30-70 lbs individual, 36''x48'', Pink/Purple) for Youths, Girls and Boys | Great for Insomnia, Autism, ADHD, Stress Relief | Fit Twin or Full Sized Bed
$39.99 in stock
2 used from $30.98
- 【4 REASONS WHY CHOOSE ZonLi HEAVY BLANKET】(1) Give you better sleep. (2) A good gift idea for your lovers. (3) The perfect addition to your bed. (4) Used for all-season comfort.
- 【4 REASONS WHY ZonLi WEIGHTED BLANKET IS WORTH THE PRICE】Each design has a unique role. (1) High-density sewing technology, two-layer microfiber are added to prevent the loose of the thread and leakage of the beads. (2) Smaller squares to distribute glass beads inside the blanket evenly. (3) Two-layer 100% soft cotton fabric to keep you at the perfect temperature (avoid overly hot). (4) Loops to secure the duvet cover.
- 【HOW TO CHOOSE】Choose the weighted blanket weighs 6%-10% of your body weight and a lighter one for the first try. 36*48 weighted blanket 5 lbs is suitable for 50lbs-80lbs individual.
- 【3 REASONS WHY WE RECOMMEND A DUVET COVER FOR YOUR BLANKET】 (1) EASY cleaning. (2) Extend the blanket's span life. (3) Various styles for your choice, Comfortable Cotton, Cooling Bamboo, Warm Minky.
- 【THE SERVICE YOU WANT】 ZonLi provides 24 hours customer service every day. If you have any questions or need additional help, please contact us freely we’ll solve the problem for you as soon as possible.
Active Corner WEIGHTED BLANKET for Adults and Kids | Large 60” x 80” Surface | 12 lbs Heavy | Great For Anxiety, Stress, Autism, ADHD | Free Pillowcase Included | by
- 30 DAY STRESS-FREE GUARANTEE - Try your blanket risk-free for 30 days. If you're not 100% happy with your Active Corner weighted blanket, we will refund all of your money and collect the blanket for free. No questions asked.
- REDUCE STRESS & ANXIETY - Experience the natural calming effect of deep pressure therapy. Unlike other stress relief solutions, our weighted blanket provides immediate support to quickly reduce stress levels in adults and children alike.
- SLEEP BETTER - Throw our weighted blanket over yourself or your kids to provide the same calming support all night long. We've found in our own testing that both adults and kids wake up less often through the night and enjoy a deeper sleep with the assistance of our heavy blankets.
- This weighted blanket is engineered to be 8% to 12% of your body weight. The 5 lb 36”x48” blanket is perfect for children between 40 to 60 lb.
- Get even more value for your buck as this blanket comes with both the inner blanket and a outer dotted minkey duvet cover with a concealed zipper that can be fastened with corner ties to prevent any slipping.
- With the two part construction, you dollars will go further as there is no need to wash the entire blanket. By simply removing the cover and washing the duvet cover, your blanket will be less prone to deterioration from rigorous washing cycles.
- Heavy Glass Beads are evenly distributed and compartmentalized inside the blanket to provide an even weight distribution that will not shift.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed! No questions asked return policy. If for any reason you are not happy with your purchase, we will refund your order no questions asked!
$37.95 in stock
- PREMIUM MATERIALS - We use super comfortable and soft cotton and polyester - just like your clothes. Some competing brands fill the blanket with sand to provide the weight. Who wants sand all over their child's bed! Stick with ZZZ Weighted Blankets for top quality.
- EASY TO CLEAN - Simply unzip the cover and wash and dry the soft blanket in your clothes washer. Other brands of blankets are all one piece and can be a nightmare to clean and can't be put in the wash. But with ours, just unzip and throw it in the wash.
- PERFECT COLOR - The outside is a columbia blue with raised dots. We blended a sea green and aqua for the inside to create the perfect color combination.
- EVEN WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION - NOTE: The inner quilted blanket is attached to the outer duvet with 6 ties. You may need to retie some of these more tightly prior to use to make sure the inner blanket stays perfectly in place. Quilted squares inside keep the weight distribution even throughout the blanket. Competing brands missing these quilted squares lead to heavy and light spots, but ZZZ Weighted Blankets keep the weight evenly distributed for the maximum calming effect.
Helpful Resources and Information
We found the weighted blanket that we bought for our son, really calms his condition at night. He sleeps better and wakes up in a better mood after a good nights sleep.
We found he liked the really heavy blanket, the heavier the better for him.
I hope you find this information helpful and we hope a weighted blanket can help relieve the stress and anxiety your son or daughter is feeling.
This website and blogs provides general information and discussion about eczema, skincare, and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this website or blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately-licensed physician or other health care worker, GP or Doctor.
Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials.
All our affiliate links are highlighted in GREEN they will not cost you a penny more to use and we earn a small commission from AMAZON which helps us fund this website to provide useful information and support to eczema sufferers all around the world. So if you use our link, you’re helping others. So THANK YOU!