Autism affects around 2.8 Million people worldwide and around 900,000 in the US alone. Autism has a massive impact on the person diagnosed with the condition and also their friends and families. In this review, we discuss Sensory toys for adults with learning disabilities including Autism.
After searching for a gift for a family member who is 25 Years old we realized there wasn’t much information about this topic, so we took it upon ourselves to research and find the best sensory toys for adults with disabilities.
Toys, Gifts and learning aids for adults with learning disabilities and conditions like autism are very similar to toys and learning aids for children without any disabilities. The only difference is they are normally made or constructed better to withstand more punishment and wear and tear, but the principles are similar. They just focus on one of the sensory stimulants like visual or Tactile. Learn more about these senses below.
Toys and learning aids can be split into several categories.
- MSE-Fiber optics-Bubble tubes
The best toys or learning aids for adults with learning disabilities will be one in the area that they have already shown an interest in. This may be their love for Tactile toys or maybe Auditory aids and toys. They may love sounds and music or the feel of an interesting tactile toy.
It really wouldn’t be right for us to tell you which toy or learning aid is the best as this simply wouldn’t be possible as everyone is different and likes different things. Just like anyone of us.
We have simply reviewed a selection of toys and gifts for adults with learning disabilities to save you time and hopefully money. By comparing several websites we have found the same items at great prices. We have found most toys can be purchased online from selected specialist stores for children and adults with learning disabilities but we found it more convenient to buy them from AMAZON who offered the best prices with great guarantees and fast delivery.
What is Autism?
Autism is a lifelong learning and development disability that affects how people see the world and interact with others. Often it is said that they live in a bubble and see the world totally different to others.
Autistic people, hear see and feel the world differently to other people. Anyone diagnosed with autism will be autistic for life. It is not an illness, disease or condition that can be cured.
Adults with autism will have hopefully been diagnosed with the condition at an early age where they should be able to receive suitable support to help them develop and live a happy and fulfilled life.
Everyone has the right to live a meaningful and happy lifestyle no matter what condition they are diagnosed with.
Autism is a spectrum condition. All autistic people share certain difficulties, from social interaction to communication difficulties. Most autistic people also have learning disabilities, some also have mental health issues or other conditions, This means there is no ONE FIX solution to help them with their learning needs. Every person with autism is different and should be supported in whichever way suits them best. All people on the autism spectrum can learn and develop and live happy meaningful lives. They just need the right support to help their development.
With the right sort of support, all can be helped to live a more fulfilling life of their own choosing. If you feel you need help and support with your Child or any Adult with autism or a learning disability you can find lots of helpful information at The National Autistic Society.
Since you searched ‘ Sensory toys for Adults with learning difficulties ‘ we are going to stop telling you what Autism is and how to get a diagnosis. We are not really qualified to help you in that department.
We are simply parents of young children ourselves and have a family member that is now a young adult and we wanted to buy him a gift for his Birthday.
What type of Sensory areas did we look at?
Visual – Processing visuals can take up lots of brain power and focus. Having bright, light and colorful toys will have a calming influence.
Auditory – Music and soft sounds can reach into the hearts of all of us no matter what you’re suffering from. Auditory levels and noise trigger memories and take us all away from everyday life.
Socialisation – Building relationships take time and a whole set of social skills. Having a disability like autism can make it difficult to make lasting friendships. A game that makes you take turns and share help build their social skills.
Tactile – The human skin is the biggest organ in the body and one of the most sensitive. So it’s no surprise Tactile toys are the number one selling toys for children and adults with autism. Some people with autism have over sensitive skin and touch. Touching the wrong material can make them feel uncomfortable and sometimes it’s even painful for them. They also like feeling the weight on their body holding them down. Weighted blankets are a great buy.
Motor – All things medically related to muscle-related are termed “motor” Toys and learning aids that deal with grip, twist, pulling are great for Motor skills. For people with disabilities their muscle often takes more movement than normal to become strong and if not exercised regularly they can become stuff and inactive.
Vestibular – Balance is a vital sense in the body. Helping you to walk, stand up straight and even ride a bike. Vestibular sense is closely related to your brain’s ability to balance other sensory input at once. Working on their Vestibular skills take practice and time.
Cognition – Cognition is defined as ‘the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses. It is the ability to perceive and react, process and understand, store and retrieve information, make decisions and produce appropriate responses.
Communication – Everyone needs to express themselves. This can be in for form of vocal or body movement and even actions. The human body has a developed complex non-verbal communication systems but this can be difficult to put into action for some people.
MSE-Fiber optics – Bubble tubes – Multi-Sensory and fiber optics are usually called “Interactive toys”, which means that they encourage the user to interact with them through switch use, or sound sensitivity.
Best Sensory toys for adults with learning disabilities
SensoryMoon 3.9 ft Bubble Tube Floor Lamp w 10 Fish, 20 Color Remote and Tall Water Tower Tank is Best LED Aqua Night Light for Kids Bedroom, Autism or Fake Aquarium Column Stand for Living Room Decor
1 used from $94.95
- A BREATHTAKING AQUARIUM EXPERIENCE THAT DAZZLES AND RELAXES. Now with 10 fish (including 2 horsefish!) and 3.9 feet (120 cm) of swimming room, our new sensory bubble tube floor lamp makes the perfect gift for the children in your family or decor piece for sensory loving adults. Watch as colorful fish bob up and down the water tube, waving their mechanical tails and interacting with the streaming bubbles in an incredibly lifelike way - all on a soothing backdrop of color-changing LED ambiance.
- SENSORY ROOM LIGHTING WITHOUT THE SENSORY ROOM COSTS. Stimulate object tracking, color recognition, and sound localization abilities without spending thousands on expensive sensory bubble tubes from special needs companies. Keep your child, student, or client with ASD and-or SPD sitting still for hours with this captivating multi-sensory fish water lamp display. Our bubble column sensory lights for autism are great presents for kids with disability or special needs!
- 20-COLOR OPTION REMOTE CONTROL FOR FULL WIRELESS CUSTOMIZATION. Our bubble tower lamp allows you to choose between 16 solid colors (including blue, green, purple, red, yellow, white), 4 transition settings (flash, strobe, fade, smooth), and on-off modes with the touch of a button. Whether you want your child's favorite color as a bedroom night light, or the perfect color-changing setting for your living area - nothing is outside your control with the SensoryMoon aquarium fish lamp remote!
- ATTENTION-GETTING CENTERPIECE THAT SPARKS CONVERSATION. Get your friends, family, guests, co-workers, or patients talking at your parties, get-togethers, or office. Our aqua bubble lamp offers an acceptable motor hum that fades into background noises already created by the TV, laptop, and conversation - or can be minimized further with a standard mat or rug. Perfect home decor for adults who are sensory seekers, or parents who don't want to deal with the hassle of real fish!
- CAPTIVATING NIGHT LIGHT THAT MAKES BEDTIME EASY TO HANDLE. Send your son or daughter straight to sleep with these mesmerizing LED water bubble tube. The constant but quiet bubbling noise and the whirring of motor provides an ideal white noise for a serene, restful, and relaxing environment. Your children will insist on turning off the bedroom lights as they calmly watch the cycling colors, streaming bubbles, and bobbing fish until they fall asleep!
LED Night Lighting Lamp -Elecstars Light Up Your Bedroom With This Moon, Star,Sky Romantic - Best Gift for Men Women Teens Kids Children Sleeping Aid (Blue)
$15.99 in stock
1 used from $13.99
- AMAZING PROJECTOR NIGHT LAMP: The night light projector is an amazing smart night lamp that projects the picture on the ceiling of your room. This is great for arousing kids curiosity for universe and astronomy. You can even locate the star night light you are living in and a number of stars.
- 3 LIGHTING MODELS: Model A - The nightlight light (warm light), press A again will shut off model A. Model B - Switch for the color of the light (monochrome light or colorful light overlay) [Note: Press B 9 times in a row, The model B would shut off]. Model C - It is rotary switch (rotate or not rotate freely chosen) [Note: Press C again would shut off the rotation].
- MORE BRIGHTER: The higher power bulbs which could be more brighter and more beautiful. The lighting range also bigger than before. 4*AAA batteries could support the lamp working, or use the USB cable connect to the power supply.
- BEAUTIFUL COLOR: This is a new popular cosmos star projector lamp, it can help you put the universe back home, give you a piece of the sky changes color. Do not take up a lot of space, rotating its base, there will be different colorful space, find your own constellation. It is not only able to stimulate children's interest in astronomy, but also create a romantic surprise for the couple.
- 100% RISK-FREE SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We also offer you 100% risk-free satisfaction guarantee, so you can rest assured to buy. Moreover, we are known for our excellent customer service and support! So, why think twice? ORDER NOW to get this amazing night light projector lamp.
SpringFly Toy 16 Pack Bundle Toys Set-Bike Chain/Liquid Motion Timer/Rainbow Magic Sensory Ball and Squeeze Toys Value Assortment
- Fidget Toy Bundle Variety - This complete sensory toy included total 33 PCS fidget toys: 2 squeeze soybean, 2 stretch strings, 2 magic cube, 2 wacky fidgets, 3 mesh and marble toys, 6 mochi squishies, 6 gyro spiral twister toys, 10 slap bracelets.
- Top Quality Toys for Kids and Adults - Each fidget toy is made from nontoxic and durable materials and are safe for kids and adults. Have fun playing without worrying.
- Fidget and Sensory Toys: A perfect way to relieve stress - small toys to hold in the palm of your hand. It's a fun way to keep the brain focused and the hands busy.
- Stress and Anxiety Reducing Games - Relieve stress and anxiety by simply playing, squeezing, stretching and flipping with these fidgeting devices. Every toy helps release and soothe stress. Boredom or to simply pass the time. These are also great for kids with ADD or ADHD and people with OCD or high stress/anxiety levels.
- Popular Uses: For fun birthday party favors, classroom rewards, carnivals, prize boxes, pinata filler, stocking stuffers, goodie bag fillers.
Infantino Textured Multi Ball Set
- Design: Easy-to-grab, bright and textured design for babies to develop tactile senses while having fun
- Developmental benefits: Soft and textured material featuring 6 varied sizes and shapes which encourages baby to reach, bat, grab and enjoy sensory play
- Great for gifting: This set is packaged in easy-to-wrap packaging and is a suitable gift for any occasion including baby showers, birthdays, Christmas, Easter and more
- Cleaning and care: Easy to wipe clean, not intended for use in bath
- Infantino, smartly designed products for happy parenting: We design smartly, we have fun and we're overjoyed when an idea evolves full circle into a product loved and used daily by parents everywhere
For children with Asthma or Allergies CLICK HERE special allergy free toys.
We hope you find this review helpful. We simply wanted to find and show you the best Sensory toys for adults with learning disabilities, so you can buy that meaningful gift for your loved one or friend.
Please share this review if you found it helpful.
Carl & Lindsey x
This website and blogs provides general information and discussion about eczema,skincare and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this website or blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately-licensed physician or other health care worker, GP or Doctor.
Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials.
All our affiliate links are highlighted in GREEN they will not cost you a penny more to use and we earn a small commission from AMAZON which helps us fund this website to provide useful information and support to eczema sufferers all around the world. So if you use our link , you’re helping others. So THANK YOU!