Humidifiers For Eczema – Why Should You Buy One?
After many years of caring for our son who has Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis), we stumbled upon dehumidifiers by chance and we started to wonder if humidifiers for eczema can really help? We, like every parent caring for someone suffering from eczema, are always looking for ways to help treat and manage this horrible condition.
We always say, manage eczema because the is currently no cure for eczema which makes me very sad to write but it’s the truth and we don’t like to offer fault hope.
Currently, there’re over 40 studies being carried out worldwide to find a cure for eczema. Until that day comes all we can do is manage our condition daily and give ourselves the best chance to fight this sometimes crippling skin condition.
Using technology and medical research can help us in our battle to fight eczema and humidifiers have improved so much in recent years and technology has helped us, sufferers.
Here is a list of the best humidifiers for eczema:
- Boneco W200
- Plemoco Ultrasonic
- TaoTronics Top-Fill Humidifiers
- Costway 6lt
- Sparoma Cool Mist
- Boneco S450
Why we purchased a humidifier
We visited a friends home and saw what looked like a ceramic pot with steam coming out of the top. “What’s that we asked” our friend went on to tell us all about HUMIDIFIERS and why she had one. Her son also has eczema and also suffers from asthma which unfortunately often goes hand in hand with eczema sufferers. We’d never thought of using a Humidifiers for eczema.
She explained how dry her son’s skin was in winter and made worse by central heating which evaporates all the moisture from the air within the room. By replacing the lost moisture your skin will become softer and healthier.
These Humidifiers are lightweight, portable and economical to run, so why not we thought. As soon as we arrived home we searched on Amazon for HUMIDIFIERS FOR ECZEMA
Can humidifiers help eczema?
When using a humidifier to manage your eczema pay close attention to the moisture levels in the room. The optimum level is between 30 to 40 percent. Any more than that and you could encourage mold and dust mites! And when it’s too high the room can become uncomfortable. It’s best to use your humidifier at night when your sleeping as that’s when you’ll be exposed to the humidity for longer periods.
Humidifiers are a simple and affordable way to help keep your skin hydrated all day long. A humidifier works by adding cool water to the atmosphere so that the air becomes less dry and more hydrating which will improve your eczema or dry skin and give you some relief from itching.
What to Consider When Purchasing a Humidifier for Eczema
There are many things to consider when buying a Humidifier for the home and it can be a little bit confusing. So we have put together a simple guide to help you make the right decision and not waste your hard-earned money.
- Buy the right size humidifier: You need to decide if the humidifier is just for one room I.E: Bedroom or for the whole house. Most people opt for the PORTABLE HUMIDIFIERS as these are perfect for bedrooms and living spaces and can easily be moved from one room to another. Some even come with different size tanks for small-medium rooms. However, If you need one that can cover the whole house.
- Humidifiers for the whole house are larger and usually cover multiple rooms or the whole home or apartment. In-duct or whole-house humidifier systems operate like central heating systems. A console-style whole-house humidifier is a supersized version of a portable single-room humidifier — with a large refillable tank (a 7-gallon tank can humidify up to about 1,500 square feet, depending on the model) and casters so they can be moved into the center of the home for all-round cover.
- Some, more expensive models connect permanently to your water supply, so they don’t have to be filled with water every day as with tank-style humidifiers. This type of unit may also connect directly to the home’s forced-air heating system and may best be installed by a heating and ventilation professional.
- Cool mist or warm mist ( Or both? ): Cool mist humidifiers don’t boil the water they just vaporize it. So they are safer to use and more economical to run. The mist it produces is cool and therefore has no safety issue if you have younger children who may touch the mist. There’s no risk of getting burnt.
- Warm mist humidifiers are steam vaporizers that use electricity to create steam that cools before leaving the machine. The water is boiled before it enters the air, therefore the mist is less likely to contain harmful bacteria. Normally labeled as “germ-free humidifiers” warm mist humidifier technology in these units; this typically refers to built-in ultraviolet light or nano-silver antimicrobial features that kill germs and spores in the water before it’s vaporized and released into the air. These units are more expensive but worth the extra money. Check out our review of children’s cool mist novelty design humidifiers.
- Humidity levels: It’s important you monitor the humidity levels in the room It should always be between 30 percent and 50 percent or you run the risk of increasing mold and bacteria growth due to the moisture in the air and in the room. We all know how bad damp conditions can be for eczema sufferers. So getting the correct humidity levels is paramount. Some models have digital settings built into the unit and monitor and control this for you. so of the basic models don’t and you will need to buy a Temperature/humidity monitor to keep an eye on the humidity within your home. You can buy these from AMAZON for less than $20 They are handy to have around the home to monitor the temperature which is an important part of managing eczema in the home. Here’s one we found on AMAZON CLICK HERE
Easy to clean: Look for ‘Germ-free ‘ models and ones that are easy to clean. All humidifiers cool mist or warm mist must be cleaned regularly or you can exacerbate allergies, eczema and asthma symptoms. Choosing one of the newer models that come with built-in antibacterial technology will help keep the water clean so you don’t have to clean the unit as frequently. But don’t rely on this alone, you must still clean the unit manually each week. We clean ours every Sunday as part of our routine. The last thing you want to do is spray germs and bacteria around the room to breath in.
- Cool or warm mist ( We use cool mist)
- Easy to clean, is the unit simple to clean
- Room size, for a bedroom just choice a small, inexpensive unit
- Germ-free, buy a model that’s germ-free.
- Portable or freestanding
- Price, buy the best you can afford but don’t spend what you can’t afford, even a unit for as little as $40 will help
- Guarantee, buy one with a solid 1-year guarantee
Buy an easy to clean model
No matter which type of humidifier you buy, it’s important to keep your humidifier clean and germ-free to prevent other health issues. If your humidifier uses filters consider buying replacement filters at the time of purchase. It’s important to change filters as recommended and you’ll be glad to have them on hand when it’s time to change.
By cleaning the humidifier regularly you lessen the risk of spreading harmful bacteria and mold, which can exacerbate allergies, eczema and asthma symptoms. Most units can be cleaned daily by emptying the water and wiping out the water basin some water tanks are even dishwasher proof.
Depending on the type of unit you buy, it may be recommended to remove water scaling by using a suitable agent, see the manufactures instructions for advice. It’s a good idea to clean your unit again before storing for any length of time, make sure there’s no water or damp patches in the machine before storing.
Prevent Germs and Mold
Some of the more expensive models have built-in technology that fights germs and mold. Some humidifiers do this with plastics that naturally kill germs and mold, and others do this with UV cleanse technology. If you can afford these models they are worth the extra few dollars.
Our Best Pick!
Hysure Quiet and Portable Dehumidifier Electric, Deshumidificador, Home Dehumidifier for Bathroom, Crawl Space, Bedroom, RV, Baby Room (1000ML)
- Portable and Efficient: its compact size could well fit your rooms. Could remove up to 750ml of moisture per day at 30℃, 80%RH. Coverage Area：215sq.ft
- Silent, Safe and Easy to use: can automatically shut off when the 1000ml water tank is full. The touch panel with LED indicators makes it easy and convenient to use. It is also very quiet when it working and will never disturb your daily life and rest.
- True HEPA: can remove more than 99.97% of the particles with a diameter of 0.3 microns (1/200 of the hair diameter) or more, which is the most effective filter media for pollutants
- ENERGY SAVING – 45W low energy consumption dehumidifier with no chemical substances and low energy consumption. Energy saving and eco-friendly, not waste electricity. The air purifying dehumidifier is an ideal solution for basement, bedroom, bathroom, baby room, RV, kitchen, office, wardrobe, closets, grow room, small room etc
- Perfect After-sale Service: 30 days money back, 24 months with professional customer service team to provide friendly and fast support.
Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier (6L) - Essential Oil Tray, High Output, Ultra Quiet, Auto Shut Off, Night Light, Large Capacity Vaporizer
$51.95 in stock
3 used from $47.79
- Cool Mist Humidifier: Features a 6 liter (1.6 gallons) reservoir with a super high mist output. Our ultrasonic humidifier for bedrooms works in rooms up to 500 square feet and lasts 50 straight hours. This makes our air humidifier suited for large rooms and is an ideal room essential for the room, apartment, office, nursery, or college dorm
- Essential Oil Tray: More than just a humidifier, we included an essential oil tray. Your oil diffuser humidifier circulates the oils into the cool mist, giving you a clean, pure, and fresh smelling aroma. Now you can create an aromatherapy experience. It also can be used as a humidifier for babies and features a blue LED night light
- Auto Shut Down, Quiet: The vaporizer humidifier automatically shuts down when out of water. This helps prevent damage to the unit and keeps you protected. Our home humidifiers are nearly silent (less than 30 DB), making them a suitable humidifier for baby rooms and bedrooms
- Filterless Design: Our ultrasonic humidifier design is filterless, saving you from ongoing replacement costs. IMPORTANT: Running the humidifier in humid conditions can cause water accumulation on surfaces. Use a hydrometer to monitor humidity levels. It is recommended to keep humidity between 40 and 60 percent. Exceeding 60 percent humidity can cause water accumulation and can damage wood, and other surfaces
- 2 Year Replacement Policy: At Everlasting Comfort we care about your experience with our products. To show we're here to help, we pledge to replace your product, should anything go wrong. It's our way of showing you can rely on us to have you covered. Note: We continually strive to improve our packaging to better serve our customers. Over time this packaging will replace current packaging thus packaging may vary
LEVOIT Humidifiers for Large Room, 6L Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier for Bedroom and Babies, Vaporizer with Remote and Humidity Monitor, Home, Germ Free and Whisper-Quiet, 2-year Warranty
14 used from $67.49
- Warm & Cool Mist: The humidifier provides both cool mist and warm mist to relieve you from congestion,sinus,dry skin, allergies,bloody noses,cold, flu.It is perfect for all year around using.
- Auto Mode: The humidifier’s built-in humidity sensor automatically adjusts the mist level to maintain a comfortable level of humidity, so you can set it and forget it. If the tank runs out of water, the humidifier will automatically turn off
- Aromatherapy: Add your favorite essential oils to the aroma box to give your room a clean, fresh aroma.
- Perfect for Large Room: With a mist output of up to 500 mL/hr, the LV600HH can easily handle spaces as large as 753 ft2 / 70 m2. The large 1. 5 gal / 6 L capacity allows for 60 hours of continuous use with the low mist level.
- Convenient Remote Control: Adjust settings in the middle of the night without leaving the comfort of your bed. On a schedule? Set a 1–12 hour timer so you won’t have to worry about accidentally leaving the humidifier on.
Pure Enrichment MistAire Cloud - Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier and Night Light for Child and Baby with Easy-Clean 1.8L Water Tank, Variable Mist and Quiet Operation for Nursery, Playroom or Bedroom
- PLAYFUL CLOUD DESIGN: Our unique patent-pending cloud design is a Parent Tested Parent Approved (PTPA) Winner (June 2019) and complements any nursery decor, playroom, or kids bedroom
- POWERFUL MIST OUTPUT: Cool mist humidifier lasts up to 24 hours with a variable mist control knob to incrementally adjust moisture output to meet you and your baby or child’s comfort level
- COLOR CHOICE TECHNOLOGY: Night light rotates through 8 rainbow-spectrum colors or use Color Choice Technology to select your favorite color - light and mist control buttons operate separately so you can choose how you want to use it
- EASY-CLEAN WATER TANK: Baby humidifier has large water tank opening makes it easy to hand wash the inside of the tank to keep it clean and sanitized
- WHAT YOU GET: Cool Mist Cloud baby humidifier, night light, AC power adapter, cleaning brush, industry-leading 5 Year Warranty, caring customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted brand with millions of customers worldwide
iTvanila Cool Mist Humidifier, 5L 35inch Ultrasonic Humidifier, Humidifiers for Bedroom Babies Women Home Decor, with Remote Smart Humidit Oil Diffuser (White)
2 used from $77.80
- Intelligent constant humidity - iTvanila S1 humidifier has 3 mist level presets Humidistat Mode and Sleep Mode. The auto-control function will maintain the room humidity between 50-70%RH. Built in renewable filter and activated carbon purification, you can breathe cleaner air than general humidifier. Helps with dry skin, allergies, coughs etc
- Accurate humidity indicator - The humidifier has an LED light ring to indicate the current room humidity level. Orange for room under 45% humidity, Green for 45%-65% humidity, and Blue more than 65% humidity. Red for machine is out of water. With the smart remote, you can adjust all the settings within 5 meters.
- Quiet Ultrasonic Equipment: Through humanized design, ultrasonic humidifier produces a nearly silent 26dB frequency. Suitable for children, babies, the elderly, people with light sleep, etc. Add a few drops of essential oil to the diffuser tray to add a touch of fragrance to the room, improving sleep quality and physical fitness.
- Large capacity humidifier: Holding up to 5L/1.32Gal of water, the cool mist humidifier produces 50hrs of continuous mist to humidify the air. Ideal for living rooms, nursery room, bedroom and office use
- Warranty& Note: Humidifier, Customer Support 7 Days a Week, 24 Months Warranty. Notes: Please don’t place on the carpet or any towel as the fan under the bottom,the carper or towel will jam the air intake.