Humidifiers For Eczema – Why Should You Buy One?
After many years of caring for our son who has Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis), we stumbled upon dehumidifiers by chance and we started to wonder if humidifiers for eczema can really help? We, like every parent caring for someone suffering from eczema, are always looking for ways to help treat and manage this horrible condition.
We always say, manage eczema because the is currently no cure for eczema which makes me very sad to write but it’s the truth and we don’t like to offer fault hope.
Currently, there’re over 40 studies being carried out worldwide to find a cure for eczema. Until that day comes all we can do is manage our condition daily and give ourselves the best chance to fight this sometimes crippling skin condition.
Using technology and medical research can help us in our battle to fight eczema and humidifiers have improved so much in recent years and technology has helped us, sufferers.
Here is a list of the best humidifiers for eczema:
- Boneco W200
- Plemoco Ultrasonic
- TaoTronics Top-Fill Humidifiers
- Costway 6lt
- Sparoma Cool Mist
- Boneco S450
Why we purchased a humidifier
We visited a friends home and saw what looked like a ceramic pot with steam coming out of the top. “What’s that we asked” our friend went on to tell us all about HUMIDIFIERS and why she had one. Her son also has eczema and also suffers from asthma which unfortunately often goes hand in hand with eczema sufferers. We’d never thought of using a Humidifiers for eczema.
She explained how dry her son’s skin was in winter and made worse by central heating which evaporates all the moisture from the air within the room. By replacing the lost moisture your skin will become softer and healthier.
These Humidifiers are lightweight, portable and economical to run, so why not we thought. As soon as we arrived home we searched on Amazon for HUMIDIFIERS FOR ECZEMA
Can humidifiers help eczema?
When using a humidifier to manage your eczema pay close attention to the moisture levels in the room. The optimum level is between 30 to 40 percent. Any more than that and you could encourage mold and dust mites! And when it’s too high the room can become uncomfortable. It’s best to use your humidifier at night when your sleeping as that’s when you’ll be exposed to the humidity for longer periods.
Humidifiers are a simple and affordable way to help keep your skin hydrated all day long. A humidifier works by adding cool water to the atmosphere so that the air becomes less dry and more hydrating which will improve your eczema or dry skin and give you some relief from itching.
What to Consider When Purchasing a Humidifier for Eczema
There are many things to consider when buying a Humidifier for the home and it can be a little bit confusing. So we have put together a simple guide to help you make the right decision and not waste your hard-earned money.
- Buy the right size humidifier: You need to decide if the humidifier is just for one room I.E: Bedroom or for the whole house. Most people opt for the PORTABLE HUMIDIFIERS as these are perfect for bedrooms and living spaces and can easily be moved from one room to another. Some even come with different size tanks for small-medium rooms. However, If you need one that can cover the whole house.
- Humidifiers for the whole house are larger and usually cover multiple rooms or the whole home or apartment. In-duct or whole-house humidifier systems operate like central heating systems. A console-style whole-house humidifier is a supersized version of a portable single-room humidifier — with a large refillable tank (a 7-gallon tank can humidify up to about 1,500 square feet, depending on the model) and casters so they can be moved into the center of the home for all-round cover.
- Some, more expensive models connect permanently to your water supply, so they don’t have to be filled with water every day as with tank-style humidifiers. This type of unit may also connect directly to the home’s forced-air heating system and may best be installed by a heating and ventilation professional.
- Cool mist or warm mist ( Or both? ): Cool mist humidifiers don’t boil the water they just vaporize it. So they are safer to use and more economical to run. The mist it produces is cool and therefore has no safety issue if you have younger children who may touch the mist. There’s no risk of getting burnt.
- Warm mist humidifiers are steam vaporizers that use electricity to create steam that cools before leaving the machine. The water is boiled before it enters the air, therefore the mist is less likely to contain harmful bacteria. Normally labeled as “germ-free humidifiers” warm mist humidifier technology in these units; this typically refers to built-in ultraviolet light or nano-silver antimicrobial features that kill germs and spores in the water before it’s vaporized and released into the air. These units are more expensive but worth the extra money. Check out our review of children’s cool mist novelty design humidifiers.
- Humidity levels: It’s important you monitor the humidity levels in the room It should always be between 30 percent and 50 percent or you run the risk of increasing mold and bacteria growth due to the moisture in the air and in the room. We all know how bad damp conditions can be for eczema sufferers. So getting the correct humidity levels is paramount. Some models have digital settings built into the unit and monitor and control this for you. so of the basic models don’t and you will need to buy a Temperature/humidity monitor to keep an eye on the humidity within your home. You can buy these from AMAZON for less than $20 They are handy to have around the home to monitor the temperature which is an important part of managing eczema in the home. Here’s one we found on AMAZON CLICK HERE
Easy to clean: Look for ‘Germ-free ‘ models and ones that are easy to clean. All humidifiers cool mist or warm mist must be cleaned regularly or you can exacerbate allergies, eczema and asthma symptoms. Choosing one of the newer models that come with built-in antibacterial technology will help keep the water clean so you don’t have to clean the unit as frequently. But don’t rely on this alone, you must still clean the unit manually each week. We clean ours every Sunday as part of our routine. The last thing you want to do is spray germs and bacteria around the room to breath in.
- Cool or warm mist ( We use cool mist)
- Easy to clean, is the unit simple to clean
- Room size, for a bedroom just choice a small, inexpensive unit
- Germ-free, buy a model that’s germ-free.
- Portable or freestanding
- Price, buy the best you can afford but don’t spend what you can’t afford, even a unit for as little as $40 will help
- Guarantee, buy one with a solid 1-year guarantee
Buy an easy to clean model
No matter which type of humidifier you buy, it’s important to keep your humidifier clean and germ-free to prevent other health issues. If your humidifier uses filters consider buying replacement filters at the time of purchase. It’s important to change filters as recommended and you’ll be glad to have them on hand when it’s time to change.
By cleaning the humidifier regularly you lessen the risk of spreading harmful bacteria and mold, which can exacerbate allergies, eczema and asthma symptoms. Most units can be cleaned daily by emptying the water and wiping out the water basin some water tanks are even dishwasher proof.
Depending on the type of unit you buy, it may be recommended to remove water scaling by using a suitable agent, see the manufactures instructions for advice. It’s a good idea to clean your unit again before storing for any length of time, make sure there’s no water or damp patches in the machine before storing.
Prevent Germs and Mold
Some of the more expensive models have built-in technology that fights germs and mold. Some humidifiers do this with plastics that naturally kill germs and mold, and others do this with UV cleanse technology. If you can afford these models they are worth the extra few dollars.
Our Best Pick!
Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier (6L) - Essential Oil Tray, High Output, Ultra Quiet, Auto Shut Off, Night Light, Large Capacity Vaporizer
$64.95 in stock
4 used from $59.75
- Long Lasting Coverage for Your Home, Office, Nursery, or Dorm: Our ultrasonic humidifier has a 6 liter (1.6 gallon) tank that works in rooms up to 500 sq feet and lasts for up to 50 hours
- Not Your Average Air Humidifier: We included an essential oil tray that circulates fragrant oils into the cool mist, giving you a pure and fresh smelling aroma throughout your home
- Safe to Use, Whisper Quiet: Our large room humidifier is nearly silent (less than 30 DB) and also shuts off automatically when out of water; safe to use in baby rooms and bedrooms
- ❌Never Replace a Filter Again: Our bedroom humidifier is filterless, saving you from ongoing replacement costs. Important: Try to keep humidity between 40 to 60 percent to avoid water accumulation
- ✔️2 Year Replacement Policy: At Everlasting Comfort we care about your experience with our products, pledging to replace your humidifiers for home should anything go wrong
LEVOIT Humidifiers for Large Room, 6L Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier for Bedroom and Babies, Vaporizer with Remote and Humidity Monitor, Home, Germ Free and Whisper-Quiet, 2-year Warranty
$78.49 in stock
4 used from $68.76
- Warm and Cool Mist: The humidifier provides both cool mist and warm mist to relieve you from congestion,sinus,dry skin, allergies, bloody noses, cold, flu. It is perfect for all year around using.
- Auto Mode: The humidifier’s built-in humidity sensor automatically adjusts the mist level to maintain a comfortable level of humidity, so you can set it and forget it. If the tank runs out of water, the humidifier will automatically turn off
- Aromatherapy: Add your favorite essential oils to the aroma box to give your room a clean, fresh aroma. Max Warm Mist Output- 500 mL/h
- Perfect for Large Room: With a mist output of up to 500 mL/hr, the LV600HH can easily handle spaces as large as 753 ft² / 70 m². The large 1. 5 gal / 6 L capacity allows for 60 hours of continuous use with the low mist level.
- Convenient Remote Control: Adjust settings in the middle of the night without leaving the comfort of your bed. On a schedule. Set a 1–12 hour timer so you won’t have to worry about accidentally leaving the humidifier on.
Pure Enrichment MistAire Cloud - Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier and Night Light for Child and Baby with Easy-Clean 1.8L Water Tank, Variable Mist and Quiet Operation for Nursery, Playroom or Bedroom
1 used from $64.99
- POWERFUL MIST OUTPUT: Variable mist control knob incrementally adjusts moisture output to meet you or your child’s comfort level
- COLOR CHOICE TECHNOLOGY: Rotate through 8 rainbow-spectrum colors or use Color Choice Technology to select your favorite color - light and mist control buttons operate separately so you can choose how you want to use it
- EASY-CLEAN WATER TANK: Large water tank opening makes it easy to hand wash the inside of the tank to keep it clean and sanitized
- WHAT YOU GET: Cloud humidifier, AC power adapter, cleaning brush, industry-leading 5 Year Warranty, caring customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted brand with millions of customers worldwide
- PLAYFUL CLOUD DESIGN: Our unique patent-pending cloud design is a 2019 Parent Tested Parent Approved (PTPA) Winner and complements any nursery decor, playroom, or kids bedroom