What are the best blankets for eczema?
Over the past 47 Years, I have been suffering from eczema ( Atopic Dermatitis ) and my son also has the same skin condition only much worse than me, poor thing!
One thing we have learned is that eczema is harder to treat if you are tired and irritable through lack of sleep. Your body heals whilst you sleep at night, so it’s vital for managing your eczema that you get the best nights sleep possible.
In this article, we will cover the Best blankets for eczema and also the best bedding for eczema and asthma/allergies.
Many people who suffer from eczema also suffer from allergies or have Asthma so we thought it might be helpful to offer more solutions than just blankets for eczema.
Topics covered in this article
- Allergy-free bedding why are they a good idea for eczema sufferers?
- Best pillows for eczema
- Weighted blankets for ADHD & Eczema
- Duvet types and what’s best for eczema
- Sleeping tips
- Eczema and sleep deprivation
- Relaxation & Distraction techniques
- Best blankets for eczema
Is allergy Free bedding good for eczema sufferers?
Many people including children suffer from asthma and eczema, the conditions often go hand in hand.
On average 50-70% of children with eczema suffer from asthma, and 1 in 3 people have some form of allergy.
A recent study carried out on genetically engineered mice identified a protein that could be part of the link between atopic dermatitis and asthma. Read the full case study.
If you suffer from allergies you might notice that you wake up some mornings with a stuffy nose and hayfever type symptoms. Your pillow could be the problem, they provide the perfect habitat for dust mites. The dust mites leave their droppings on and around your pillow which contain allergen called rhinitis. It’s these allergens that give you the blocked and stuffy nose.
When you’re looking to buy some allergy free pillows, there are two types you should consider
(2 ) Anti-allergy.
Hypoallergenic pillows are made from materials which are themselves less likely to trigger allergies. Anti-Allergy pillows have been treated in a way that deters dust mites from living in your bedding. To be honest they both achieve the same purpose.
Weighted blankets are widely known to help people suffering from ADHD & Mental health issues and anxiety. We recently wrote a full article on the topic. CLICK HERE!
These blankets are filled with heavy inserts like beads or pellets to weight them down. They have a cover which can be removed and washed. The beads are lock inside the blanket and can’t come out.
Weighted blankets work due to something called DPTS which stand for deep pressure touch stimulation. Pressure is exerted over the body which provides both physical and psychological benefits. It’s like a big hug!
Best blankets for eczema the answer!
Through our many years of trying different bedding and sheets, we found the best two types of sheets are:
These two options are the best bedding sheets if you suffer from eczema or any other skin condition.
When buying new bedding you should look for breathable, lightweight and smooth materials.
The reason your eczema itches more at night is due to the body releasing a substance called cytokines, which increase inflammation and increases body temperature making you want to itch. This plus your body produces fewer corticosteroids at night, a hormone that reduces inflammation. All this results in the urge to itch. Your skin also loses more water at night.
- Try natural herbal sleeping tablets like Dreamlite
- Have a regular bathing & moisturizer routine before bed.
- Use a soothing eczema moisturizing cream like Manuka Honey
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed
- Keep your bedroom cool and moisture controlled – Try a De-Humidifiers
- Try Yoga or meditation before bed
- Try taking antihistamines to help sleep better.
- Stop using electronics at least one hour before bed
- Leave your phone alone
Check out Healthline’s article on 17 Proven tips to sleep better at night.
Best Blankets & Pillows
400 Thread Count 100% Cotton Sheet Pure White Queen Sheets Set, 4-Piece Long-staple Combed Cotton Best Bedding Sheets For Bed, Breathable, Soft & Silky Sateen Weave Fits Mattress Upto 18'' Deep Pocket
$39.99 in stock
2 used from $37.99
- HIGHEST QUALITY BEST COTTON SHEETS - New Better & Improved Version - If you love luxury and durability of hotel bed sheets and the look of crisp pillowcases, you’ll adore our Breathable Queen Sheets, 400-thread-count. We use yarns made with 100% long staple cotton fiber and a gorgeous sateen weave. Our eco-friendly sheets retain softness for a lifetime and resist fading. Indulge in soft bed sheets with detailed hem, available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, King and Cal King sizes
- QUEEN Size Luxury 4pc Bed Sheets Set - 1 Flat Sheet: 90" W x 102" L; 1 Fully Elasticized Fitted Sheet: 60" W x 80" L + 16" Deep pocket on fitted sheet with superb all around elastic to fit low profile foam and tall mattresses and 2 Standard Pillowcases: 21" W x 30" L. Highest quality dye materials are used for fade resistance. Recommended for regular wash for superior softness
- Extensive product checks and regular company audits ensure that the industry has a globally sustainable awareness of the responsible use of chemicals. The fabric is then tested for meeting performance like no pilling, shrinkage, colorfastness, tear strength, and thread count authenticity before being individually measured and stitched to perfection. Then it is inspected, piece by piece, to be defect free and packed as a set
- ULTRA-SOFT COTTON SHEETS WITH LUSTROUS SATEEN WEAVE - Give into the look and feel of hotel-like bed sheets and smooth pillowcases with our sheet set. Made of 100% natural and sustainable long-staple cotton with 400 threads per inch, and lustrous sateen weave, the premium cotton sheet sets are densely woven to be long-lasting, ultra-soft, and authentic, unlike cheap microfiber sheets with a lower thread count which look worn out and tear easily after few washes
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Our products are backed by incredible customer service to make sure your satisfaction is guaranteed. If for any reason you don't love our bedsheets, you can return them within 30 days for a full refund as per Amazon guidelines. Our high-quality designs match any decor and make the ultimate gift idea for men and women, Moms and Dads, Valentine's - Mother's - Father's Day and Christmas. Best for any room in your house - bedroom, guest, kids room, vacation home
LINENSPA Zippered Encasement Waterproof, Dust Mite Proof, Bed Bug Proof, Hypoallergenic Breathable Mattress Protector - Full XL Size
1 used from $18.22
- Thin, quiet waterproof barrier protects all 6 sides of the mattress from fluids and spills - vinyl free materials are safe for kids
- Machine washable encasement has a zippered closure for a comfortable secure fit on mattresses up to 12" deep
- Fully encases your mattress with a smooth, lightweight fabric to form a reliable barrier against bed bugs, dust mites and allergens
- Soft, breathable fabric creates a cooler, more comfortable sleep surface - no crinkling sound or plastic feel
- Full XL size mattress protector measures 54" x 80"; 10-year warranty
Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase - 13X18 Soft Organic Cotton Baby Pillows For Sleeping - Washable & Hypoallergenic - Toddlers, Kids, Infant - Perfect For Travel, Toddler Cot, Bed Set (Kea Safari)
- Ergonomically Designed - Highly rated by parents all around the world, our KeaBabies Toddler Pillow is ergonomically designed and tested on toddlers for the best spinal support without compromising their comfort.
- Durable & Washable - We know that mess always happens with kids around. Our Toddler Pillows are machine washable for the pillowcase and pillow shell, keeping your toddler’s pillow clean and fresh.
- Natural Cotton - We use natural cotton which is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin. It is ultra-soft and breathable for all seasons.
- Cute KeaSafari Print - All kids LOVE ANIMALS, our KeaBabies Toddler Pillowcase is designed with that in mind. Simple and neutral unisex pillowcase to match any toddler bed to cot setting. Match it up with our KeaBabies Swaddle Blanket.
- Perfect Travel Companion - Sized perfectly for your little one to nap, sleep and play while on the go. With a pillow on hand, your toddler will feel more secure when sleeping or napping in a new environment.
Conclusion: Best Blankets For Eczema
Dealing with eczema day to day is hard, trust me I know from personal experience. Even worse is watching your son or daughter trying to sleep and itching.
Then trying to deal with their lack of sleep in the morning leads to flare-ups and emotional breakdowns.
Simply using cooling cotton sheets could make all the difference. Eczema loves the heat, so stay cool and reduce the urge to itch.
We hope you find this article BEST BLANKETS FOR ECZEMA helpful. Please consider the Bamboo sheets as well we know lots of people using them and they highly recommend them.
Good Night and sleep well Zzzzzzzzzz
Carl & Lindsey x
Our Eczema Story
This website and blogs provides general information and discussion about eczema, skincare, and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this website or blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately-licensed physician or other health care worker, GP or Doctor.
Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials.
All our affiliate links are highlighted in GREEN they will not cost you a penny more to use and we earn a small commission from AMAZON which helps us fund this website to provide useful information and support to eczema sufferers all around the world. So if you use our link, you’re helping others. So THANK YOU!