If you’re searching ‘can you feel dust mites on your skin‘ then the chances are that you either think you have dust mites in your bed or home or you have allergies that dust mites make worse.
Dust mites are the worlds most common cause of allergies second behind pollen. Dust mites are also a major contributing factor for towards asthma attacks.
Can you feel dust mites on your skin? Dust mites often get confused with bed bugs. The difference between the two is what they eat. Dust mites eat dead skin and bed bugs feed on blood, that’s why you can feel them biting you. If you know you have dust mites your subconscious will make you feel like you can feel them but you can’t.
We can help you reduce the amount in your home fast – Use technology to kill them quickly and safely.
The feeling of things crawling on your skin is all in your head. You CANNOT feel dust mites on your skin they are too small to feel.
What are dust mites?
Dust mites are tiny microscopic arachnids that feed off dead skin amongst other waste products like pets hair and skin.
There are two types of dust mites:
- DermatophagoidesNorth American house dust mite
- Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus the European dust mite
Dust mites have eight legs, no eyes, no antennae, and a tough, translucent shell. Dust mites are approximately 0.20 – 0.30 millimeters in size and cannot be seen with the human eye without magnification.
Dust mites live in areas where they can feed. They eat dead skin so as you can imagine your bed in the number one breeding ground for dust mites. They also live carpets and rugs and even children’s soft toys.
Dust mites do not bite and you cannot feel them crawling on your skin.
Dust mites often get confused with bedbug. The difference between the two is what they eat. Dust mites eat dead skin and bed bugs feed on blood, that’s why you can feel them biting you.
Have you ever heard the saying ‘Don’t let the bed bugs bite’
Why are Dust Mites bad if you have eczema?
The enzymes present in the dust mite dropping can cause allergic reactions and studies have proven they can cause asthma and also cause flare-ups for eczema sufferers.
When you’re dealing with a skin condition like eczema where you shed more skin than normal, You are always going to be vulnerable to dust mites.
Dust mites can cause you to itch but the main concern from dust mites are allergy symptoms which include upper respiratory problems, runny and itchy nose, and eyes.
How do you know if you’re allergic to dust mites?
The only way to tell if you’re allergic to dust mites is to get tested.
An allergy skin test is when a small sample of an allergen is pricked into your skin and your skin is then carefully monitored for a reaction. Depending on the severity of the reaction will determine if you’re allergic to a substance or dust mites.
How can you get rid of Dust Mites?
It is impossible to get rid of all the dust mites in your home. The average mattress can hold anywhere from 200,000 – 10 Million dust mites. The average pillow can double in weight due to the amount of dust mite droppings on your pillow. Yuck!
You can however dramatically reduce the number of dust mites in your home which will help manage your skin condition like eczema and psoriasis.
- Freeze pillows and soft toys for 24 hours to kill dust mites
- Wash bedding in hot water at least 130 Fahrenheit (54.4 Celsius) degrees. You can also use detergents that kill dust mites.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter.
- Extreme cold or extreme heat is the easiest ways.
- You can also use pesticides if you choose. Some brands include Agrodust and Fortefog.
- Use Dustmite and Flea Control Powder, which is non-toxic and dissolves without a trace in water.
- Use Hypoallergenic Bedding and pillows
- Use essential oils in your washer like eucalyptus oil which has been proven to help kill dust mites
The number one way to keep dust mites at bay is, cleaning!
Regular use of a Vacuum cleaner with a Hepa filter on your bedding, mattress, and pillows is the best way to control dust mites.
For more great tips visit FIGHTING DUSTMITES website which has a ton of information on dust mites.
Products to remove Dust Mites
- Bosisto’s dust mite wash – Add to your washing machine to kill dust mites.
- Anti-allergen dust mite spray – Simply spray, kill and wipe clean. Great for surfaces.
- Dust mite and Flea control – Add to a bottle and spray, then vacuum the dead dust mites
- UV Dust mite vacuum – Advanced handheld HEPA filter vacuum
- Mattress protector – Dust mite & Allergy-free mattress protector.
- Ultrasonic wave dust mite killer – Uses Ultrasonic waves to kill unseen bugs.
- Allergy-free bedding can help reduce bed bugs and dust mites.
SafeRest Premium Zippered Mattress Encasement - Lab Tested Bed Bug Proof, Dust Mite and Waterproof - Breathable, Noiseless and Vinyl Free (Fits 12 - 15 in. H) - Queen Size
$51.99 in stock
- WATERPROOF - Big spill? No big deal. The soft terry cotton material on this waterproof mattress protector wicks up even the biggest accidents or stains without any leakage.
- ZIPPER GUARD - No holes here, folks. Our queen mattress protector comes with a well-designed zipper to make sure your bed is covered from every angle for protection from unwanted creepy crawlies.
- BREATHABLE - Our cooling mattress protector is super soft, super secure, and super soothing. No more sweaty summer nights - this cover will keep you cool!
- LARGE FIT - These mattress protectors fit snugly on mattresses that are up to 15" thick, to give you full bedding protection.
- MACHINE WASHABLE - You deserve bed covers that are as easy to clean as they are to sleep on - and we've got the answer! Toss this cover in the washer and tumble dry for a stress-free clean.
Killing dust mites – Use technology to kill them!
How to kill Dust Mites using technology
These days we can use technology to kill dust mites and other bugs that can cause irritations to our skin if you suffer from eczema and other skin conditions.
Can you feel dust mites on your skin? No but you can kill them even if you can’t see them!
Products like Terratek ultrasonic pest killer works by emitting an ultrasonic sound, which disrupts the feeding and reproductive/growth cycles of dust mites. This reduces the population of dust mites and therefore the allergens produced. This is a mains powered device that controls dust mites in your home. Dust mite allergens are thought to be related to half of all rhinitis and hay fever. Chemical-free, ultrasonic protection for a medium sized room up to 62m.
The Dust Mite Controller simply plugs into your socket and emits a complicated range of ultrasonic waves covering up to 62.8 cubic metres. These sounds interfere with the feeding and reproductive cycles of the dust mite, immediately reducing the number of allergens produced (fecal matter) and over a period cause the population of mites to decrease. Product Highlights.
The Dust Mite Controller can help with: • Itchy Eyes • Runny Nose • Skin Rash • Sneezing • Snoring • Wheezing and coughing.
UV Light Wands Can Kill Dust Mites and Other Germs!
Dust mites and other allergens thrive in the cracks and crevices of textiles and soft furnishings such as mattresses, sofas, rugs, and upholstery. Whilst your standard vacuum cleaner may minimize debris, dust, and crumbs, it might not be tackling the visible dirt.
The Germ Reaper Wand is designed to tackle the allergens that you can’t see, such as dust mites, bed bugs, bacteria, and pollen – all things that may worsen the symptoms of asthma, eczema and other irritations.
The UV-C light attacks the DNA of bed bugs, dust mites, and bacteria such as E-Coli, which prevents them from reproducing and spreading, effectively sterilizing your mattresses and soft furnishings. The cleaning area is illuminated by LED lights and the powerful vacuum removes dust and allergens into the 0.5L dust tank.
The HEPA filter is designed to minimize the emissions back into the environment, keeping your home clean and clear. The handheld unit weighs only 1.2kg and features a 6m power cord, perfect for cleaning all around the home – Ideal for mattresses, sofas, upholstery, bedding, carpets, and rugs.
With the RHBV1001 cleaning, your home is made easy.
Conclusion: Dust Mites & Eczema
Don’t just think about dust mites in your bed, they can get everywhere and if you have babies or very young children they can even live in their soft toys. Buying allergy and asthma friendly toys can help reduce dust mites. These toys are made from a material that dust mites don’t like.
No matter which method you choose to kill dust mites just the fact that you’re reducing the number of dust mites in your home will help your eczema and any other health issue you might have.
We personally like the modern UV methods rather than powders and chemicals. However, they are proven to dramatically reduce dust mites FAST!
Eczema is all about controlling the environment and irritants that can affect your skin condition and dust mites are one of them.
You can only benefit from reducing the number of dust mites in your home. No one has ever gained from having dust mites in there home or bed.
If we have please share this article with anyone who could benefit from reducing the number of dust mites in their home. It will help them sleep better and itch less.