How many people who suffer from an itchy skin condition like eczema also suffer from eczema sleep deprivation?
Often people suffering from eczema found that their skin became itchy at night time, which made them scratch. This can be painful and cause bleeding and they would wake up having scratched in their sleep causing even more damage to their already sore and fragile skin.
Lack of sleep and eczema is a never-ending cycle, less sleep means more scratching, more scratching mean more flare-ups and infections. If it’s your child that is having eczema sleep deprivation the effects of no sleep can run into other parts of their lives like school, exams, friendships and social lives. This can also lead to even more serious conditions like Depression.
Read our article on ECZEMA AND DEPRESSION for help and advice.
If you ever feel that eczema or any other condition is making you become depressed please seek medical advice or speak to an approved national helpline that can help you. Never try battle depression on your own. A helpful organization is the MENTAL HEALTH HELPLINE
Ensuring you get the best possible nights sleep will give you a bit more energy to fight eczema on a daily basis.
What can I do to stop eczema sleep deprivation?
Make sure that you have covered all the basics to help you sleep well before considering other solutions. We have compiled a list below.
- Room temperature is correct, too high and you will itch more.
- De-Humidify the room, We have a helpful article on this. CLICK HERE
- Cotton sheets and PJ’s. make sure your comfy and don’t sleep with itchy material
- Bathing, Don’t shower or bath with water that’s too hot. This will irritate and inflame your skin before bed.
- Moisturize, Make sure you have a good moisturizing routine before bed.
- Alcohol, Don’t drink alcohol before bed. This will dehydrate your skin and make you itch
- Junk Food, Food full of sugar will also make you itch.
- Stress, Try to relax before bed. Take your mind off the potential bad nights sleeps ahead. Worrying about not sleeping will not help. Read a book, go for a walk, listen to relaxing music.
These may seem obvious things to do but we often forget to do them because we’re so worried about not sleeping that we fail to do the simple things that help.
What Can I do to sleep better?
Some people had strategies to help them sleep better. These include: taking sleeping tablets; taking antihistamines, some of which cause drowsiness, and can help with itchiness also moisturizing before going to sleep and, for some, using wet wraps and putting on eczema gloves to limit scratching will also help.
Antihistamines are helpful but shouldn’t be used daily. I use them but only when I’m going through a bad patch. We have also used them for my son mainly through summer when it’s hot and sweaty and he’s really struggling.
What type of Antihistamine should I use?
There are hundreds of Antihistamines on the market today. We only use Natural-Organic Antihistamines so we know we’re not putting chemicals in our body that will make our eczema worse.
We buy ours from AMAZON Lucidia natural allergy relief, its 100% organic and Vegetarian, Gluten Free, No Artificial Flavors, No Dairy, No Soy Recommended by Holistic Healthcare Practitioners. It has over 250 reviews on Amazon and scores highly so we trust this product.
Antihistamines (Hydroxyzine) help fight the urge to itch which will help eczema sufferers sleep better. Can you imagine a night where you don’t itch and sleep well and wake up feeling refreshed.? That would be awesome!
What is Hydroxyzine and how does it work?
Hydroxyzine reduces activity in the central nervous system. It also acts as an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body reducing the urge to scratch an itch. Histamine can produce symptoms of itching or hives on the skin. Hydroxyzine is also used to treat allergic skin reactions such as hives or contact dermatitis and has been recognized as helping eczema sufferers reduce inflammation.
WARNING: You should not use hydroxyzine if you are pregnant, especially during the first or second trimester.
To make sure hydroxyzine is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- Blockage in your digestive tract (stomach or intestines);
- Bladder obstruction or other urination problems;
- Heart disease, slow heartbeats;
- Personal or family history of long QT syndrome;
- An electrolyte imbalance (such as high or low levels of potassium in your blood);
- If you have recently had a heart attack.
It is not known whether hydroxyzine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while using this medicine.
Please always seek medical advice even if the antihistamine you’re taking like the one we use which is 100% Organic Lucidia Natural Allergy Relief
Do Antihistamines have side effects even if their Organic?
Yes, they can have side effects like most things. When you suffer from eczema you can have a reaction to anything and usually most things, unfortunately.
Stop using hydroxyzine or any form of medication and call your doctor at once if you have:
- Fast or pounding heartbeats
- A headache with chest pain
- Severe dizziness, fainting
- A seizure (convulsions).
Side effects such as drowsiness and confusion may be more likely in older adults.
Common side effects may include:
- A headache
- Dry mouth
- Skin rash
This all sounds very scary but remember these are only POSSIBLE side effects, we have never experienced any side effects with 100% Organic allergy relief tablets.
Obviously, Drowsiness is one we have experienced, hence they make you sleep better at night.
Which tablets do we use?
We use Lucidia natural allergy relief, antihistamine, and immune support formula for the allergy season 60 capsules purchased from Amazon. PS. We have included some affiliate links to make it easier for you to buy the same tablets we use. If you purchase them through our link it will not cost you any more but we make a small commision that allows us to produce more helpful blogs like this one. So thank you.
- SAFE AND EFFECTIVE NATURAL ANTIHISTAMINE without Side Effects. Non-Drowsy. Non-Stimulating. Works best for people experiencing itchy, watery eyes, congestion, sneezing, excess mucous and hayfever or pet allergies. Not indicated for people with dry eyes, dry nose or dry skin due to allergies.
- DEVELOPED BY HOLISTIC HEALTHCARE PRACTITIONERS and used clinically for over 10 years providing symptom relief and reducing the overall frequency and severity of allergies.
- PREMIUM QUALITY, Sustainably Sourced, U.S. Grown Herbs. Made with fresh Stinging Nettles for immediate antihistamine effect & high potency Reishi Mushroom, cultivated by mushroom specialists with over 20 years of growing experience.
- Lucidia is the main component of the Artemis Allergy Relief Program. Can be used with the Artemis lifestyle guidelines to optimize immune function, improve liver health, restore mental clarity & energy and experience overall improved health and wellbeing.
- Based on the Wisdom of Traditional Chinese Medicine and the philosophy that health and wellbeing are simple, natural and available to us at this moment.
We love these antihistamines and have used them for years without any issues, Always take Natural or Organic products where possible including cream, lotions, and medication.
Any relief from itching is a good thing as long as there are no long-term problems caused by using these products.
We will you a restful and itch-free nights sleep.
Let us know what you do to sleep better and avoid eczema sleep deprivation.