Humidifiers For Eczema – Why Should You Buy One?
After many years of caring for our son who has Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis), we stumbled upon dehumidifiers by chance and we started to wonder if humidifiers for eczema can really help? We, like every parent caring for someone suffering from eczema, are always looking for ways to help treat and manage this horrible condition.
We always say, manage eczema because the is currently no cure for eczema which makes me very sad to write but it’s the truth and we don’t like to offer fault hope.
Currently, there’re over 40 studies being carried out worldwide to find a cure for eczema. Until that day comes all we can do is manage our condition daily and give ourselves the best chance to fight this sometimes crippling skin condition.
Using technology and medical research can help us in our battle to fight eczema and humidifiers have improved so much in recent years and technology has helped us, sufferers.
Here is a list of the best humidifiers for eczema:
- Boneco W200
- Plemoco Ultrasonic
- TaoTronics Top-Fill Humidifiers
- Costway 6lt
- Sparoma Cool Mist
- Boneco S450
Why we purchased a humidifier
We visited a friends home and saw what looked like a ceramic pot with steam coming out of the top. “What’s that we asked” our friend went on to tell us all about HUMIDIFIERS and why she had one. Her son also has eczema and also suffers from asthma which unfortunately often goes hand in hand with eczema sufferers. We’d never thought of using a Humidifiers for eczema.
She explained how dry her son’s skin was in winter and made worse by central heating which evaporates all the moisture from the air within the room. By replacing the lost moisture your skin will become softer and healthier.
These Humidifiers are lightweight, portable and economical to run, so why not we thought. As soon as we arrived home we searched on Amazon for HUMIDIFIERS FOR ECZEMA
Can humidifiers help eczema?
When using a humidifier to manage your eczema pay close attention to the moisture levels in the room. The optimum level is between 30 to 40 percent. Any more than that and you could encourage mold and dust mites! And when it’s too high the room can become uncomfortable. It’s best to use your humidifier at night when your sleeping as that’s when you’ll be exposed to the humidity for longer periods.
Humidifiers are a simple and affordable way to help keep your skin hydrated all day long. A humidifier works by adding cool water to the atmosphere so that the air becomes less dry and more hydrating which will improve your eczema or dry skin and give you some relief from itching.
What to Consider When Purchasing a Humidifier for Eczema
There are many things to consider when buying a Humidifier for the home and it can be a little bit confusing. So we have put together a simple guide to help you make the right decision and not waste your hard-earned money.
- Buy the right size humidifier: You need to decide if the humidifier is just for one room I.E: Bedroom or for the whole house. Most people opt for the PORTABLE HUMIDIFIERS as these are perfect for bedrooms and living spaces and can easily be moved from one room to another. Some even come with different size tanks for small-medium rooms. However, If you need one that can cover the whole house.
- Humidifiers for the whole house are larger and usually cover multiple rooms or the whole home or apartment. In-duct or whole-house humidifier systems operate like central heating systems. A console-style whole-house humidifier is a supersized version of a portable single-room humidifier — with a large refillable tank (a 7-gallon tank can humidify up to about 1,500 square feet, depending on the model) and casters so they can be moved into the center of the home for all-round cover.
- Some, more expensive models connect permanently to your water supply, so they don’t have to be filled with water every day as with tank-style humidifiers. This type of unit may also connect directly to the home’s forced-air heating system and may best be installed by a heating and ventilation professional.
- Cool mist or warm mist ( Or both? ): Cool mist humidifiers don’t boil the water they just vaporize it. So they are safer to use and more economical to run. The mist it produces is cool and therefore has no safety issue if you have younger children who may touch the mist. There’s no risk of getting burnt.
- Warm mist humidifiers are steam vaporizers that use electricity to create steam that cools before leaving the machine. The water is boiled before it enters the air, therefore the mist is less likely to contain harmful bacteria. Normally labeled as “germ-free humidifiers” warm mist humidifier technology in these units; this typically refers to built-in ultraviolet light or nano-silver antimicrobial features that kill germs and spores in the water before it’s vaporized and released into the air. These units are more expensive but worth the extra money. Check out our review of children’s cool mist novelty design humidifiers.
- Humidity levels: It’s important you monitor the humidity levels in the room It should always be between 30 percent and 50 percent or you run the risk of increasing mold and bacteria growth due to the moisture in the air and in the room. We all know how bad damp conditions can be for eczema sufferers. So getting the correct humidity levels is paramount. Some models have digital settings built into the unit and monitor and control this for you. so of the basic models don’t and you will need to buy a Temperature/humidity monitor to keep an eye on the humidity within your home. You can buy these from AMAZON for less than $20 They are handy to have around the home to monitor the temperature which is an important part of managing eczema in the home. Here’s one we found on AMAZON CLICK HERE
Easy to clean: Look for ‘Germ-free ‘ models and ones that are easy to clean. All humidifiers cool mist or warm mist must be cleaned regularly or you can exacerbate allergies, eczema and asthma symptoms. Choosing one of the newer models that come with built-in antibacterial technology will help keep the water clean so you don’t have to clean the unit as frequently. But don’t rely on this alone, you must still clean the unit manually each week. We clean ours every Sunday as part of our routine. The last thing you want to do is spray germs and bacteria around the room to breath in.
- Cool or warm mist ( We use cool mist)
- Easy to clean, is the unit simple to clean
- Room size, for a bedroom just choice a small, inexpensive unit
- Germ-free, buy a model that’s germ-free.
- Portable or freestanding
- Price, buy the best you can afford but don’t spend what you can’t afford, even a unit for as little as $40 will help
- Guarantee, buy one with a solid 1-year guarantee
Buy an easy to clean model
No matter which type of humidifier you buy, it’s important to keep your humidifier clean and germ-free to prevent other health issues. If your humidifier uses filters consider buying replacement filters at the time of purchase. It’s important to change filters as recommended and you’ll be glad to have them on hand when it’s time to change.
By cleaning the humidifier regularly you lessen the risk of spreading harmful bacteria and mold, which can exacerbate allergies, eczema and asthma symptoms. Most units can be cleaned daily by emptying the water and wiping out the water basin some water tanks are even dishwasher proof.
Depending on the type of unit you buy, it may be recommended to remove water scaling by using a suitable agent, see the manufactures instructions for advice. It’s a good idea to clean your unit again before storing for any length of time, make sure there’s no water or damp patches in the machine before storing.
Prevent Germs and Mold
Some of the more expensive models have built-in technology that fights germs and mold. Some humidifiers do this with plastics that naturally kill germs and mold, and others do this with UV cleanse technology. If you can afford these models they are worth the extra few dollars.
Our Best Pick!
Hysure Quiet and Portable Dehumidifier Electric, Deshumidificador, Home Dehumidifier for Bathroom, Crawl Space, Bedroom, RV, Baby Room (1000ML)
- Dehumidification : 2 functions in 1, can remove excess moisture from the air
- Portable and Efficient: its compact size could well fit your rooms. Could remove up to 750ml of moisture per day at 30℃, 80%RH.
- Silent, Safe and Easy to use: can automatically shut off when the 1000ml water tank is full. The touch panel with LED indicators makes it easy and convenient to use. It is also very quiet when it working and will never disturb your daily life and rest.
- True HEPA: can remove more than 99.97% of the particles with a diameter of 0.3 microns (1/200 of the hair diameter) or more, which is the most effective filter media for pollutants
- Perfect After-sale Service: 30 days money back, 24 months with professional customer service team to provide friendly and fast support.
Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier (6L) - Essential Oil Tray, High Output, Ultra Quiet, Auto Shut Off, Night Light, Large Capacity Vaporizer
$58.95 in stock
4 used from $44.09
- COOL MIST HUMIDIFIER - Featuring a 6L (1.6gal) tank, with a super high mist output our ultrasonic humidifier for bedroom works with rooms up to 500 square feet and lasts 50 straight hours.
- ESSENTIAL OIL TRAY - Features a tray where you can add essential oils similar to an oil humidifier diffuser. The cool mist air humidifier fan then circulates the oils into the mist giving you a clean, pure and fresh smelling aroma. Ideal baby humidifier featuring a blue LED nightlight.
- HELPS REDUCE ILLNESSES - Decrease the risk of illness by keeping the relative humidity above 43. A humidifier in the bedroom or nursery helps provide adults and babies with a good night's sleep by diffusing moisture into the dry air, helping with coughs and clearing sinuses.
- AUTO SHUT OFF - The vaporizer humidifier will automatically turn off when it runs out of water preventing damage to the unit and keeping you safe.
- NO EXPENSIVE FILTERS NEEDED - Our unique design eliminates the need for a filter, making us the best ultrasonic humidifier on the market.
LEVOIT Humidifiers for Large Room, 6L Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier for Bedroom and Babies, Vaporizer with Remote and Humidity Monitor, Home, Germ Free and Whisper-Quiet, 2-year Warranty
11 used from $47.99
- Warm & Cool Mist: The warm mist helps kill bacteria in the water and humidifies the room more quickly , while the cool mist keeps your sinuses and skin hydrated during the summer.
- Ultra Quiet Operation: Near-silent noise levels and a display-off feature help you sleep through the night while the humidifier works.
- Easy to Use: The built-in sensor gauges humidity levels and instantly takes care of adjustments for you. If the tank runs out of water, the LV600HH will automatically shut off to protect you and the device. So you can Set It & Forget It.
- Perfect for Large Room: With a mist output of up to 500 mL/hr, the LV600HH can easily handle spaces as large as 753 ft2 / 70 m2. The large 1. 5 gal / 6 L capacity allows for 36 hours of continuous use with the low mist level.
- Convenient Remote Control: Adjust settings in the middle of the night without leaving the comfort of your bed. On a schedule? Set a 1–12 hour timer so you won’t have to worry about accidentally leaving the humidifier on.
Pallas 2019 Humidifier - 5L Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier for Bedroom, Baby, Home, Vaporizer for Large Room with Adjustable Mist Knob 360 Rotatable Mist Outlet
5 used from $7.12
- OVER 20 HOURS OF CONTINUOUS HEALTH BENEFITS: Large-capacity. 5L water tank permits over 20 hours of continuous humidifying, relieving sinus problems, moisturizing dry skin, easing asthma symptoms, reducing snoring, and lowering chances of spreading cold and flu
- 360° DEGREE HUMIDITY COVERAGE: 360° degree rotating nozzle ensures an even level of humidity distributed in your home.It's the perfect size for any room, big or small.Convenient usage in your office, home , bedroom, living room, and anywhere else you might need it
- ACTIVATED CARBON COTTON CARTRIDGE: microporous activated carbon cotton filter cartridge filters out microorganisms and negative ions from water for a cleaner and healthier mist
- ULTRASONIC, ULTRA QUIET TECHNOLOGY: Ultrasonic Technology runs silently, providing cool humidifying mist without excess noise
- 100% WORRY-FREE PURCHASE: If you are unhappy with your purchase, reach out to us via the Contact Seller button in the Your Orders section for a refund/replacement within 24 hours
Pure Enrichment MistAire Cloud - Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier and Night Light for Child and Baby with Easy-Clean 1.8L Water Tank, Variable Mist and Quiet Operation for Nursery, Playroom or Bedroom
$49.99 in stock
- PLAYFUL CLOUD DESIGN: Our unique patent-pending cloud design is a Parent Tested Parent Approved (PTPA) Winner (June 2019) and complements any nursery decor, playroom, or kids bedroom
- POWERFUL MIST OUTPUT: Cool mist humidifier lasts up to 24 hours with a variable mist control knob to incrementally adjust moisture output to meet you and your baby or child’s comfort level
- COLOR CHOICE TECHNOLOGY: Night light rotates through 8 rainbow-spectrum colors or use Color Choice Technology to select your favorite color - light and mist control buttons operate separately so you can choose how you want to use it
- EASY-CLEAN WATER TANK: Baby humidifier has large water tank opening makes it easy to hand wash the inside of the tank to keep it clean and sanitized
- WHAT YOU GET: Cool Mist Cloud baby humidifier, night light, AC power adapter, cleaning brush, industry-leading 5 Year Warranty, caring customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted brand with millions of customers worldwide
iTvanila Cool Mist Humidifier, 5L 35inch Ultrasonic Humidifier, Humidifiers for Bedroom Babies Women Home Decor, with Remote Smart Humidit Oil Diffuser (White)
- REMOTE CONTROL & 5L WATER TANK FOR LARGE ROOM: You can get up to 50 hours of continuous mist without refilling, 3 levels of mist allow you to enjoy long lasting diffusion whatever size room you may have. Ideal for living rooms, nursery room, bedroom and office use.With Remote Control, you can easily change settings on couch or in bed (MAX 21ft).
- AUTOMATIC HUMIDITY CONTROL: With humidity sensor, the humidifier create the amount of mist based on the surrounding environment. The color of the round indicator light changes according to the humidity level. Orange means particularly dry, green means slight dry, blue means a comfortable humidity. Reach 65%RH, It will run in 1st gear.
- WHISPER QUIET SLEEP & HEALTHY: Enjoying your best sleep ever with the whisper quiet sleeping mode, without beeping sound (only 35dB for library-level noise) and all the lights will turn off.
- HUMANIZED DESIGN: Up to 35.2 feet in design, the water droplets are not easy to drip, keeping the floor dry and the artwork-like shape has a decorative effect.
- WARRANTY& NOTE: Humidifier, Customer Support 7 Days a Week, 24 Months Warranty. Notes: Please don’t place on the carpet or any towel as the fan under the bottom,the carper or towel will jam the air intake.