What is Hives (Urticaria) and how it can be treated?
Are you having weird rashes, hives, eczema, or moles on your skin? These are just a few of the thousands of skin disorders that people experience every day. Such changes in texture or skin color can result from infection, inflammation, or allergic reactions anywhere on the skin. After a number of requests from our readers, we have come up with a post discussing Hives or Urticari.“What is Hives – Urticaria and how it can be treated? Follow this post to see the symptoms, signs, causes, and treatment of the skin disorder Hives and learn how to tackle it.
What is Hives?
Hives, also called Urticaria, are rash on the skin that appears in different shapes and sizes. Ever experienced unwanted raised, red, itchy bumps that appear out of your skin from nowhere? If “yes”, then you probably had experienced hives at some point in your life. Hives often appear due to some sort of allergic reaction and can startle you instantly. Fortunately, this disease is harmless and tends to disappear after a short period of time. However, in some cases, hives can become chronic – resulting in a life-threatening due to an allergic reaction.
They cause the surrounding tissues to swell and become red in response histamine. Blood vessels become leaky and dilate due to histamine and some other chemicals that allow fluid in the blood vessels to leak out causing swelling and itchiness. Hives don’t last long and vanish within 24 hours, but in special cases, they can have a diverse effect for several days, weeks and even months. Hives or Urticaria is categorized into two types by its duration, they are:
- Chronic Urticaria: It is rare and is found in 1 out of 200 people in England. Chronic Urticaria lasts for more than 6 weeks and can probably last for years.
- Acute Urticaria: Most people experience Acute Urticaria once in their lifetime and it can last for up to 6 weeks.
How does Urticaria Look?
Urticaria is a red, raised skin rash that can appear anywhere on your skin including hands, lips, face, ears, or throat. They have different sizes, and in special cases, hives can group together to form larger ashes called plaques.
Signs and Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of hives are as follows
- Hives are raised, red welts that can appear anywhere on the body
- There may be rashes of different sizes that appear and disappears over a certain period repeatedly time by time
- Painful swelling of eyelids, lips, and throat
- These rashes often flare with triggers like exercise, heat, and stress
- There are two types of hives thus urticaria, short-term hives known as Acute Urticaria that can last for up to 6 weeks and Long-term hives known as Chronic Urticaria that can last for years.
- If you press the center portion of a wheal and it appears white, you have hives.
- They’re most likely to appear on thighs, upper arms, trunk, and face.
- Itching is also an issue
IF YOUR NOT SURE IF YOU HAVE HIVES, THEN LOOK AT OUR ‘OTHER SKIN CONDITIONS PAGE’ It may help you identify your condition.
Causes of Hives/Urticaria
Urticaria is often caused by an allergic reaction to something that you’ve consumed or encountered in some way. This allergic reaction produces histamines into the blood causing the blood to leak from blood vessels. Histamines work as the body defense against such diseases and other outside intruders. However, they can also produce itching, swelling, red rashes, and similar conditions in some people.
Hives can also occur under certain conditions other than allergies. It is common to encounter hives as a result of daily stress, illness, tight clothes, exercise, or infections. Also, they can appear as result of excessive exposure to hot or cold conditions or due to excessive sweating while working out. There are hundreds of similar potential triggers, so sometimes the actual cause of urticaria cannot be determined.
Doctors are unable to identify the reason that why acute hives sometimes turn into a long-term problem. It may cause due to:
- Exposure to sunlight
- Food or alcohol
- Stress on skin i.e. wearing tight waistband
In special cases, chronic hives can also cause due to any underlying diseases such as thyroid or maybe cancer.
Can it be treated?
Seek the assistance of some family members who have previously experienced Hives or your physicians/Doctor who will help you deal with hives. However, most allergists and dermatologist are also able to care for people with urticaria. You may want to take blood tests i.e. complete blood count (CBC), and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (inflammation marker called ESR).
Still, the very first step to start this treatment is after you figure out if you actually have hives. Doctors, allergists, or physicians will be able to determine these conditions after a thorough physical exam. After examining signs of welts, you may also perform some blood tests as prescribed above – skin tests are also preferred in case hives were the result of an allergic reaction. There is no need for any treatment prescription if you’re having acute hives not associated with health conditions or allergies. In this case, your doctor may recommend you the following for temporary relief.
- Avoid irritating the affected area of skin
- Take antihistamines i.e. cetirizine or diphenhydramine
- Stay away from hot water
- Take regular bath with baking soda or colloidal oatmeal
- Non-Addicting and Non-Habit Forming
- Aspirin and Acetaminophen Free
- Can be used in conjunction with other medications.
- RELIEF OF ITCHING HIVES SYMPTOMS: Relief of symptoms of red, swollen and itching hives or welts on the skin that appear with sudden onset
- EASY TO TAKE HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE: Quick-dissolving tablets that melt in your mouth almost instantly
- 100 TABLETS = UP TO 50 DOSES: of Hyland’s Hives Tablets
- NATURAL ITCHING HIVES SYMPTOM RELIEF MEDICINE: Contains no aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, sugar, artificial flavors, dyes or parabens
- SAFE AND NON-HABIT FORMING: Our gentle homeopathic formulas are made with all natural active ingredients. There are no known side-effects and will not conflict with any medications you may be taking
- Natural Relief for Red Swollen and Itching Rashes
- 100% Natural, Acid Free, Soft tablets dissolve instantly
This healing lotion from Michaderm has received some great feedback and start rating on AMAZON CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS
It has been recommended by a reader of our website. Priced at only $24.99 with free delivery.
I would like to conclude this post, small changes in one’s life can cause a real disturbance in your bodies well being. In case of acute urticaria, try to make simple changes in your lifestyle such as changing meal options, skip working out for a day or two etc. however, in case of chronic urticaria, please seek medical assistance as soon as possible.
This website and blogs provides general information and discussion about and medicine, health and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this website or blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately-licensed physician or other health care worker, GP or Doctor.
Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog or in any linked materials.