Cracked Fingertips – Learn How To Heal Your Peeling Skin On Fingertips
How many of you have cracked fingertips?
Lots of people who suffer from eczema have cracked fingertips. They’re really painful for such a small cut and can stop you doing simple tasks like fastening up a shirt, doing the dishes and other simple daily tasks people take for granted.
Form in the skin when the skin dries out and shrinks, causing them to split. These can be superficial and painless but unsightly, or they can be deeper and painful, and sometimes even result in bleeding, and open wounds, especially on hands and fingertips, which can then lead to infections. Everyday tasks can become very difficult, painful and exhausting.
I get cracked fingers and cracked fingertips every winter and it causes me lots of pain. It affects my every day of life in winter and affects how I live my life. For example, when I go to sleep I have to put plasters ( Band-aid) on the ends of all my fingers to soften them up overnight. At work, through the day I can’t hold or grip anything and have to wear gloves and cream my hands every 30 minutes or so.
People laugh at me at work and think it’s funny and say I look like Michael Jackson with white gloves on, but they don’t understand the pain I go through every day at work. When I return home I have to soak my hands in warm water which eases the pain and gives me some relief.
In my dinner breaks, I sneak to the toilet and soak my hands in the sink to ease the pain. I can’t even help my wife wash up for sometime after I return home from work until my hands have stopped hurting. At night the pain keeps me awake and not to mention if I catch them on the bed end they make me jump in pain.
I could spend time every day explaining to every person I work with why I wear the gloves, but as an eczema sufferer, you get fed up explaining to people so I just make a joke about it and just get on with things.
Another issue with Eczema on the hands is, I can’t grip anything. Unless I spit on my hands ( which isn’t very nice or hygienic ) but It’s the truth I can’t grip anything. So I need to wear gloves again just to grip boxes and do tasks etc. Sometimes it’s the simple things in life when you suffer from eczema, that effects you the most that people just don’t understand.
These are the thing’s that get me down daily, it’s a total drain constantly on my physical health and my mental health. People who don’t suffer from eczema wouldn’t have a clue what we go through.
What causes cracked fingertips?
Well… Everyone is different and I won’t go into every reason why people get cracked fingertips, but for me, it’s simply the COLD weather. Cold weather is the main reason why I get cracked Fingertips.
When I go on holiday to a warm country my hand and body for that matter are much better. I still have to cream every day don’t get me wrong, but I’m not in pain and the condition is manageable. Also, day to day things like gardening, washing up, cleaning etc affects them.
What can you do to stop cracked fingertips?
There are some simple things you can do to help prevent cracked fingertips and some remedies that are a little more extreme. Eczema in plain simple terms is a lack of moisture in your skin hence the reason it cracks and dries out. Re-hydrating by drinking water is very important.
What to do to stop eczema on your hands
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize
- Protect your hands when out in the cold, gloves, heat packs
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated
- Cream your hands before bed and then wear gloves through the night to lock in moisture
- Warm water, soak your hands throughout the day for instant relief
Rehydrate by Drinking Water
Keep your skin hydrated by taking in lots of fluids. We all know that Eczema is a lack of moisture in the skin and drinking fluids will help boost the level of moisture preventing cracked fingertips and hands.
Top tip: Milk is an ideal recovery beverage, It is a well-retained body and skin and is a great source of protein, carbohydrate, vitamins, and minerals and it tastes better.
Use band-aids and plasters
The basic principle of healing a cut is to seal the area from infection and nip the cut together to allow the cut to heal. Applying a plaster or Band-aid will allow the skin around the cut to soften and grow back. Applying a band-aid will also ease the pain that these little cuts give you. ( How can something so small hurt so much? )
Chapstick ( Lip Balm )
Chapsticks contain emollient and moisturizing components like beeswax, camphor, and vitamin E. These ingredients provide excellent healing and softening properties, and are hence one of the quickest and easiest options to heal chapped skin, including that on your fingertips.
Simply apply whenever you feel the need. Handy to have when you’re out and about.
Can Cucumbers help eczema?
Cucumber can also be used to treat peeling fingertips. It will help keep your skin fresh, moisturized and smooth.
- Cut a fresh cucumber into thick slices.
- Gently rub the slices on the affected skin so that the juice absorbs well into the skin.
- You can also apply grated cucumber over the affected skin for about 30 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat daily until you are satisfied with the results.
Which Moisturizers are best for cracked fingertips?
Lack of moisture in your skin is the reason your hands and fingertips crack. So it’s not surprising that moisturizing lotions and creams are on this list. But which ones? Regular hand creams won’t help when your skin is in such a poor state. If your hands and fingers are already creamed then using a cream that tries to prevent this is too late.
You’ll need a stronger cream that protects the skin whilst adding moisture. Creams such as the one below will work better.
If you’re looking for a great cream for your babies eczema then read our Top 10 Creams For babies With Eczema review.
- Miracle Hand Repair Cream
- O’Keeffe’s Working Hands Hand Cream
- Pure Hand Cream for Dry and Cracked Skin
- Diprobase ( This is the one I use )
Wear gloves as much as possible then your cracked fingers are protected from irritants and the elements. Keeping your cracked fingers protected from the cold is the first step in preventing further damage and gives them a chance to heal.
I wear gloves even when I’m working indoors because any physical wear and tear on my hands and fingers can take weeks to heal. So I protect them wherever possible no matter how silly I look wearing gloves indoors. For more information on eczema gloves read our article, “Eczema Gloves To Stop Scratching!”
Use Essential Natural Oils for treating eczema
Check out our latest blog: Best essential oils for eczema and dry skin
Natural oils are a great moisturizer for dry skin. Soaking your fingers in warm natural oils will deeply moisturize and nourish your skin. Being rich in vitamin E, it will also promote skin healing.
- Slightly heat up the natural oils in a microwave or double boiler.
- Pour the warm oil in a bowl.
- Soak your dry fingertips in the warm oil for 10 minutes.
- Gently rinse your hands with lukewarm water, pat dry and then apply some moisturizer.
MORE EXTREME METHODS: But well known to be used by eczema sufferers
- Paraffin Dip
- Superglue, yes it sounds very strange but it seals the cuts and locks in moisture
- Bandaids and medical glue
Whilst Eczema is one of the reasons why you get cracked fingertips, it may not be the only reason. Like I said at the start of this blog ‘ everyone is different’. Cracked fingertips can develop for a number of reasons, a number of vitamin deficiencies can contribute to cracked skin on your hands.
Can Vitamins Help Treat Eczema?
One vitamin deficiency that might cause the cracked skin on your hands is a deficiency in vitamin C or ascorbic acid. Deficiencies in vitamin C lead to a depletion of collagen in your skin tissue, which can lead to wounds and cracks.
In addition, the loss of collagen prevents your skin from healing properly, so even small skin lesions on your hands could develop into larger noticeable cracks. The deficiency can also affect the skin on other parts of your body, and also harm your teeth, bones, gum tissue, blood vessels, and cartilage.
Vitamins B-1 and B-5
Deficiencies in thiamine, or vitamin B-1, and pantothenic acid, or vitamin B-5, might also contribute to cracking of the skin on your hands. Like vitamin C, these nutrients help the skin on your hands to heal itself. Without proper consumption of these vitamins, small hand nicks and cuts that occur as a result of your daily activity can fail to heal, potentially developing into cracks. Deficiencies in these vitamins can also cause fatigue, nausea and decreased cognitive functioning.
The Deficiency: Iron, zinc, and B vitamins like niacin (B3), riboflavin (B2), and B12. “It’s common if you’re a vegetarian to not get enough iron, zinc, and B12,” Blum says. If you’re skimping on essential immunity-building protein due to dieting.
The Fix: Eat more poultry, salmon, tuna, eggs, oysters, clams, sun-dried tomatoes, Swiss chard, tahini, peanuts, and legumes like lentils. Iron absorption is enhanced by vitamin C, which also helps fight infection, so combine these foods with veggies like broccoli, red bell peppers, kale, and cauliflower.
Use Paraffin Dip treatment for eczema on your hands
Paraffin treatments are used and applied in many beauty salons and spa. This practice has been used for years to increase moisture in dry hands.
Wax is melted at very low heat and your hands are dipped in the wax. It’s not hot enough to burn you just lukewarm as the was used melts at very low heat. The wax is then allowed to dry on your hands which allows the skin to absorbs moisture and oils from the wax.
Always do a small patch test before using any new treatment to see if you have any bad reactions to the wax or new treatment.
You can purchase home Parafin kits from Amazon here is one that we recommend and have used ourselves. The Revlon Moisturizing Paraffin Bath for Smooth and Soft Skin machine.
This moisturizing bath melts wax gently and is ready when the indicator light starts to glow. It can help remove dry surface skin from hands, elbows, and feet. It comes with 3lbs of rain scented wax. Refills are available for purchase at any time.
About the product
- Wax can be used on elbows, feet, and hands
- Paraffin wax smoothes and softens skin
- Offers a full range of heat comfort levels
- Melts wax in approximately 60 minutes
- Includes 3 lbs. of Rain Scented Wax, 2 thermal mitts, and 30 glove liners
There are many natural oils that can help cracked fingertips, and below are a list of just a few that can help.
Read how Allergies can affect Eczema: Here’s our latest blog CLICK HERE
HERE ARE SOME GOOD CREAMS THAT MAY NOT HAVE TRIED BEFORE
Take Care of One of Your Most Valuable Tools
O’Keeffe’s Working Hands is a concentrated hand cream that heals, relieves, and repairs extremely dry, cracked hands. It is safe and effective for people with diabetes. When used daily, O’Keeffe’s Working Hands is clinically proven* to instantly boost moisture levels, create a protective layer on the skin’s surface, and help prevent further moisture loss.
Our Mission is to provide the best skincare products for people with severely dry skin, and we back this up with a 100% Money Back Guarantee*. Your skin is your body’s last line of defense. Take care of it with O’Keeffe’s Working Hands.
Check out our review of O’keeffes eczema hand creams.
About the product
- THICK, LUXURIOUS LANOLIN-BASED FORMULA OFFERS FAST & EFFECTIVE CURE FOR YOUR CRACKED HEELS, CRACKED HANDS, FINGERS & ELBOWS – Crack Blaster skin balm is a fast-penetrating lanolin formula dry skin treatment. Our fast and effective treatment for cracked heels and hands can also be used to target other problem skin areas. Soften your heel cracks, corns, calluses, and rough skin fast!
- CRACK BUSTER INTENSE REPAIR FOOT BALM LEAVES YOUR DRY HEELS AND DRY HANDS FEELING SOFTER & SMOOTHER, START SEEING RESULTS AFTER ONLY A FEW DAYS TREATMENT – Our dry heel eliminator is also perfect for softening hands and cuticles, leaving you with baby-soft skin. A little goes a long way meaning one pot of our dry heel treatment will last a long time. Our rich thick lanolin balm is extremely easy to use and soaks deeply into skin in no time!
- CONCENTRATED CRACKED HEEL RENEWAL, EFFECTIVE LANOLIN CREAM FOR EXTREMELY DRY HANDS, ELBOWS, FINGERS AND FOOT CALLUSES; FEEL THE DIFFERENCE IN JUST 2 DAYS- Creates a thick protective layer on the surface of the dry skin, instantly boosting moisture levels and preventing further moisture loss. For best results apply on dry cracked heels and problem areas after hand washing, bathing and at bedtime, as these are the most effective times for moisturizing extremely dry skin.
- RELIEVE & REPAIR DRY HANDS AND FEET WITH OUR FRAGRANCE-FREE CRACKED HEEL TREATMENT, THE WONDER BALM SOLUTION FOR TIRED, HARD-WORN AND HARD- WORKING HANDS AND FEET- The unique formula of our cracked heel balm penetrates thicker and rougher surface skin on the feet. A dry skin feet balm that actively replenishes moisture deep below the surface of the skin. Gentle, skin-friendly formula contains Jojoba, Aloe Vera, Vitamin E and Vitamin C
About the product
- NATURALLY MADE – Made with only pure and natural olive oil, lanolin, beeswax, and high-quality essential oils – a great combination to relieve skin and hand problems.
- NEW ENGLAND WOODS SCENTED – This scent is just one of the great fragrances that Hard Core Hand care offers. Specially made for people who love the smell of pine, spruce, fern and moss.
- HEALING EFFECTS – This hand balm has the components to cure different related skin problems. It provides both instant pain relief and long-term healing for sore fingers, wounds, and even the most stubborn finger cracks and dry hands, feet, and elbows.
- VARIOUS USAGE – This balm does not only render soothing relief in your hands, but it also works as rust repellent, mosquito repellent and restores leather boots. It can also be your hair nourishing conditioner for daily hygiene.
- AVAILABLE IN OTHER FRAGRANCES – Hard Core Hand Care Salve and Hand Balm offers various fragrances to meet your needs. Available in Lemon and Lavander, Anise, and Seabreeze fragrances.
About the product
This unique, non-greasy formula intensively moisturizes and is enriched with buffered alpha hydroxy to gently exfoliate. Discover noticeably smoother hands after just one application.
- Dermatologist recommended brand
- Repairs and gently exfoliates dry, rough skin on the hands and fingers
- Noticeably smoother hands after just one use
- Non-greasy, fast-absorbing
- Relieves dry skin associated with hand eczema
- Softens even the roughest hands
- Never ever tested on animals; No way
- Bright, enlivening fragrance
- No parabens, phthalates or petrochemicals