Packing for a family holiday can be hard in itself without the worry about taking all your eczema creams and treatments onboard the plane.
Can you take eczema creams on a plane was one of the questions we had to Google ourselves recently when we went on our first family holiday in years.
We understand that times have changed and airports have introduced strict guidelines on what you can and can’t take onboard a plane due to security reasons.
In this article, we will cover all the essential information and helpful tips you’ll need to enjoy your family holiday and not let eczema spoil your fun.
We will cover:
- Can you take eczema creams on a plane
- How should you pack your creams and lotions
- Should you take evidence of the prescriptions
- Packing tips
- Suitable hand luggage
- should your routine change on holiday
Can I take eczema creams on a plane?
Yes, you can.
There are restrictions on the amount of liquids you can take in your hand luggage. If possible, pack liquids in your hold/carry baggage (luggage that you check in).
Most eczema creams are classed as liquids.
- Drinks, including water
- Liquid or semi-liquid foods, for example, jam’s and Soups
- Toiletries, including creams, lotions, oils, perfumes, mascara and lip gloss
- Shaving foam, hairspray and spray deodorants
- Hair sprays and shower gel
- Contact lens solution
If you want to take liquids in your hand luggage, you must:
- Put them in containers that hold no more than 100ml
- containers must be transparent, resealable plastic bag, which holds no more than a litre and measures approximately 20cm x 20cm
- Contents must fit easily inside the bag so it can be sealed fully.
- You must not tie a knot in the bag as customs officers may need to check the contents
- 1 plastic bag per person Max
- All bags should be shown and declared at the airport security point
The good news!!!
You’re allowed to carry essential medicines ( Eczema Creams ) of more than 100ml in your hand luggage, including liquid dietary foodstuffs and inhalers.
This restriction only applies to hand luggage, large tub of cream can be packed in your main luggage.
You’ll need supporting documentation from a relevant medical professional (for example a letter from your doctor or a copy of your prescription). The same applies to gel packs.
Airport staff might need to open the containers to screen the liquids at the security point.
The containers must have the prescription labels on the bottles or tubs and must match the name on the prescription evidence you take from the doctor.
It can also help if you have a Doctors letter describing the reason for your son or daughter needing the creams on holiday.
Make sure if you don’t have prescription creams and lotions then you need to decant the creams and lotions into clear sealable tubs.
Clearly label them with the type of cream inside and who it’s for and date when it was packed. Remember you can only take 100ml bottles in your hand luggage in a 20cm square clear plastic ziplock bag. A maximum of 1 Litre in total can be carried in your hand luggage.
Make sure your hand luggage fit the airport size requirements. All airports have their own size limits but most are around 56cm x 45cm x 25cm for a list of over 150 Airlines and their restrictions CLICK HERE
We found some great hand luggage on AMAZON at really low prices. The best one which is the one we purchased is the Ciao Carry on bag.
Should your eczema routine change on holiday?
Warm climates are good for eczema as long as you take precautions to protect your skin from the sun you should be fine.
Stick to your normal routine especially with young children and babies, you don’t want to undo all that great work you’ve been doing at home to manage their eczema.
Use an organic bug repellant like ALL NATURAL BUG SPRAY and an Organic sunscreen like TruKid Eczema Sunscreen. These products will provide safe and natural protection which won’t irritate their condition.
You may find that you need to moisturize more on holiday especially if you go swimming or playing on the beach. Use a suitable eczema cream like ORGANIC MANUKA HONEY CREAM
Essential things you’ll need for holiday packing
Babyganics Mineral-Based Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50, 6oz Tube (Pack of 2)
$17.34 in stock
- Sunscreen made with all mineral actives: zinc oxide and titanium dioxide
- Made without parabens, phthalates, PABA, fragrance or nanoparticles
- Broad spectrum SPF 50 UVA/UVB protection
- Pediatrician and dermatologist tested
- Non-allergenic and tear-free
Organic Manuka Honey Eczema Cream, Psoriasis, Rosacea, Dermatitis and Rashes, Gentle for Babies & Children, Provides Instant & Lasting Relief for Severely Dry, Cracked, Itchy, Red & Irritated Skin
$39.95 in stock
- GENTLE ON SENSITIVE SKIN: YoRo Naturals Organic Skin Soothing Manuka Honey Cream is an oil-based balm with a touch of water added to create a soft, buttery texture your skin will adore. Gentle enough for babies and children, this rich, creamy balm is thick and moisturizing, providing moisture and comfort to men and women with sensitive skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, acne, dermatitis, dry patches of skin, and more.
- NON-GREASY FORMULA: Our formula is an infusion of natural powerful ingredients rich in vitamins and nutrients to nourish and heal dry sensitive skin. This natural honey-kissed, sensitive skin moisturizer smells soft and sweet! YoRo Naturals Manuka Skin Care Soothing Creamy Balm is the perfect balance between a rich salve and thick cream. It absorbs without a sticky greasy residue and won’t cause burning or stinging like other lotion creams.
- WITH POWERFUL MANUKA HONEY & OIL: Unlike other eczema honey creams, our smooth, creamy balm contains two key ingredients you won’t find anywhere else: Organic Active 16+ New Zealand Manuka Honey and Manuka oil. Manuka honey has 1000x more methylglyoxal than regular forms of honey. Manuka oil is more effective than tea tree oil as a natural preservative (which means we do not add ANY added preservatives).
- MULTI-PURPOSE OINTMENT: YoRo Naturals Organic Manuka Skin Soothing Creamy Balm can help soothe eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, burns, cuts, scrapes, razor burn and sunburn. This Fragrance-Free moisturizer is highly effective for Dry Wrapping Therapy when worn overnight. Gentle enough to use on babies and can double as a natural diaper cream. Our six natural ingredients make this hydrating cream gentle enough to apply all over, including delicate facial areas (avoid direct contact with eyes)
- SIMPLE 100% PURE NATURAL INGREDIENTS: EWG Skin Deep 1 Rated! Formulated with healing Active 16+ New Zealand Manuka Honey, Manuka Oil Extract, Organic Olive Oil, Grape Seed Oil, Organic Beeswax, and Filtered Water. NOT gamma radiation treated. Absolutely zero added preservatives or fragrances. Nut-free, Gluten-free, GMO-free.
Trunki - Bernard the Bee (Yellow) Rolling Luggage - Kids Suitcase (1040)
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
Eczema stops us doing a lot of things in life, but traveling shouldn’t be one of them. I love the warm weather and swimming in the sea which has its own benefits for eczema. You can read all about them in a blog we wrote called ‘ Is ocean water good for eczema?’
We hope we have explained the rule and regulations for packing eczema creams to take onboard the plane. If you’re still unsure please refer to your airports website for more details. In the UK click here, and for the US Click here.
The restriction at airports will not affect you if the creams and lotions you have are clearly labeled and in the correct size plastic bottles or if prescribed by your Doctor in the original tubs with labels on and a copy of your prescription.
So relax, and enjoy your holiday. It starts as soon as you get to the airport.
Have fun, send us a postcard!