Packing for a family holiday can be hard in itself without the worry about taking all your eczema creams and treatments onboard the plane.
Can you take eczema creams on a plane was one of the questions we had to Google ourselves recently when we went on our first family holiday in years.
We understand that times have changed and airports have introduced strict guidelines on what you can and can’t take onboard a plane due to security reasons.
In this article, we will cover all the essential information and helpful tips you’ll need to enjoy your family holiday and not let eczema spoil your fun.
We will cover:
- Can you take eczema creams on a plane
- How should you pack your creams and lotions
- Should you take evidence of the prescriptions
- Packing tips
- Suitable hand luggage
- should your routine change on holiday
Can I take eczema creams on a plane?
Yes, you can.
There are restrictions on the amount of liquids you can take in your hand luggage. If possible, pack liquids in your hold/carry baggage (luggage that you check in).
Most eczema creams are classed as liquids.
- Drinks, including water
- Liquid or semi-liquid foods, for example, jam’s and Soups
- Toiletries, including creams, lotions, oils, perfumes, mascara and lip gloss
- Shaving foam, hairspray and spray deodorants
- Hair sprays and shower gel
- Contact lens solution
If you want to take liquids in your hand luggage, you must:
- Put them in containers that hold no more than 100ml
- containers must be transparent, resealable plastic bag, which holds no more than a litre and measures approximately 20cm x 20cm
- Contents must fit easily inside the bag so it can be sealed fully.
- You must not tie a knot in the bag as customs officers may need to check the contents
- 1 plastic bag per person Max
- All bags should be shown and declared at the airport security point
The good news!!!
You’re allowed to carry essential medicines ( Eczema Creams ) of more than 100ml in your hand luggage, including liquid dietary foodstuffs and inhalers.
This restriction only applies to hand luggage, large tub of cream can be packed in your main luggage.
You’ll need supporting documentation from a relevant medical professional (for example a letter from your doctor or a copy of your prescription). The same applies to gel packs.
Airport staff might need to open the containers to screen the liquids at the security point.
The containers must have the prescription labels on the bottles or tubs and must match the name on the prescription evidence you take from the doctor.
It can also help if you have a Doctors letter describing the reason for your son or daughter needing the creams on holiday.
Make sure if you don’t have prescription creams and lotions then you need to decant the creams and lotions into clear sealable tubs.
Clearly label them with the type of cream inside and who it’s for and date when it was packed. Remember you can only take 100ml bottles in your hand luggage in a 20cm square clear plastic ziplock bag. A maximum of 1 Litre in total can be carried in your hand luggage.
Make sure your hand luggage fit the airport size requirements. All airports have their own size limits but most are around 56cm x 45cm x 25cm for a list of over 150 Airlines and their restrictions CLICK HERE
We found some great hand luggage on AMAZON at really low prices. The best one which is the one we purchased is the Ciao Carry on bag.
Should your eczema routine change on holiday?
Warm climates are good for eczema as long as you take precautions to protect your skin from the sun you should be fine.
Stick to your normal routine especially with young children and babies, you don’t want to undo all that great work you’ve been doing at home to manage their eczema.
Use an organic bug repellant like ALL NATURAL BUG SPRAY and an Organic sunscreen like TruKid Eczema Sunscreen. These products will provide safe and natural protection which won’t irritate their condition.
You may find that you need to moisturize more on holiday especially if you go swimming or playing on the beach. Use a suitable eczema cream like ORGANIC MANUKA HONEY CREAM
Essential things you’ll need for holiday packing
TRAVANDO Clear Toiletry Bag with 7 Bottles (max.3.38oz) | TSA Travel Set for Liquids | Transparent Zipper Bag for Cosmetics | Plastic PVC Airport Airline Security Luggage Organizer Pouch | Wash Kit
- — TRAVANDO Clear Bags are Fully Compliant with TSA 3-1-1 Rules and Regulations of ALL Airlines
- – Comes with 7 leakproof Travel Bottles to fill up your own Cosmetics | 1x 3.38oz Spray, 2x 3.38oz Bottles, 3x 1oz Jars, 1x 0.27oz Perfume Atomizer
- , , — Airline Toiletries Bags are Transparent, Waterproof Travel Pack to Hold all Your Liquids
- & — Clear Toiletry Bags are made from a Durable Material that was Built to Last, and Strong Zipper Closure Ensures your Toiletries Stay Secure Inside. Carry Small, Plastic Containers Securely
- - Smart, Stylish Design. No More Sandwich or Ziplock Bags! Great for Men and Women. Detachable Handle allows Quick Grab or Hang
Babyganics Mineral-Based Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50, 6oz Tube (Pack of 2)
$17.34 in stock
- Contains 2 6-oz tubes
- REEF SAFE: Made without oxybenzone and octinoxate.
- Formulated without: PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano particles
- Formulated with: Octisalate, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide
- Formulated with NeoNourish Seed Oil Blend: Our own blend of tomato, sunflower, cranberry, black cumin and raspberry seed oils
Eczema stops us doing a lot of things in life, but traveling shouldn’t be one of them. I love the warm weather and swimming in the sea which has its own benefits for eczema. You can read all about them in a blog we wrote called ‘ Is ocean water good for eczema?’
We hope we have explained the rule and regulations for packing eczema creams to take onboard the plane. If you’re still unsure please refer to your airports website for more details. In the UK click here, and for the US Click here.
The restriction at airports will not affect you if the creams and lotions you have are clearly labeled and in the correct size plastic bottles or if prescribed by your Doctor in the original tubs with labels on and a copy of your prescription.
So relax, and enjoy your holiday. It starts as soon as you get to the airport.
Have fun, send us a postcard!